Sunday, September 12, 2021

Q&A with Annie England Noblin

 

 


 

Annie England Noblin is the author of the new novel Maps for the Getaway. Her other books include The Sisters Hemingway. She teaches English at Arkansas State University, and she lives in the Missouri Ozarks. 

 

Q: What inspired you to write Maps for the Getaway?

 

A: In October of 2016, I lost my best friend of 20 years to cancer. It was the most difficult time of my life. I was really thankful that I had my other best friend to help me cope with the loss. The three of us had been an inseparable trio since high school.

 

I wanted to write a novel that deals with that kind of loss but also celebrates the triumphant nature of female friendships.  

 

Q: I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend.

 

With this novel, did you know the ending before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I had a general idea, but this story wasn’t as straightforward as I thought it would be. There were lots of twists and turns along the way.

 

Q: What are some of your (other) favorite road trip novels?


A: I loved America for Beginners by Leah Franqui. That’s the most recent road trip book I can remember reading. I even went back through my Audible library to make sure I hadn’t forgotten about anything on audio, but there was just a lot of historical fiction and every single book Jenny Colgan has ever written.

 

Q: What role do you see dogs playing in your books?

 

A: I see dogs as emotional support—both in my books and in life. I often credit my dogs with saving me from the depths of depression during my 20s.

 

Many of my characters are going through a time in their lives that is instrumental in making them who they are. Dogs help them heal. They are companions and guardian angels.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m currently in the early stages of writing Christmas at Corgi Cove, which is set in Texas and stars a couple of sassy, you guessed it—corgis. There are a few humans in it, too.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Stay tuned for Christmas in Blue Dog Valley, which will be out next fall! 

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Annie England Noblin.

No comments:

Post a Comment