Monday, September 20, 2021

Q&A with Carrie Leskowitz

 

 


 

Carrie Leskowitz is the author of the new book Om for the Home: A Holistic Approach to Interior Design for Your Overall Wellbeing, Body, Mind and Spirit. She is an interior designer and life coach.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Om for the Home?

 

A: It was a series of things that lead me to the book. I had been feeling stuck in an area of my life that prompted me to become a life coach so I could learn tools to change my perspective from “stuckness" to possibility because I felt as though I had no alternative.

 

Shortly after that, I became ill with a difficult to diagnose autoimmune disease. That experience really solidified for me the concept of the interconnection of all things: body, mind, spirit and living space.

 

The balance we need to create in our body is equally as important as the balance, or energy, we need to create in our home to thrive. When I couldn’t work because of pain, I came up with the idea of the book to continue to be creative and share my message.

 

Q: You write, "The things you choose to bring into your home are a reflection of who you believe yourself to be." Can you say more about that?

 

A: Our home should tell the story of our journey. Where we have been and where we want to go.

 

If we understand ourselves - our values, our personality, what fulfills us - we want to express that in physical form to solidify it and show others. If we have high self-worth or are interested in manifesting something, our home can express that as well.

 

For example, a newly single woman I worked with wanted to create a home of peace and healing. She brought in only things that were needed or gave her joy.

 

This environment was about her! She filled her closet with outfits for the new life she wanted to manifest and rid herself of anything that did not serve her higher self. Her fresh perspective was reflected in her new condo with its positivity and bold design choices. Positivity begets positivity.

 

Q: What would you advise someone to do whose house is cluttered and stressful?

 

A: DECLUTTER and do a deep dive into what the root cause of their clutter behavior may mean. We can have stress without clutter, but we can never have clutter without stress. I believe, oftentimes, there are unconscious beliefs we carry that show up as clutter.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from your book?

 

A: This book is about personal growth and the importance of the role our home plays in a healing journey. There are takeaways in each chapter.

 

I say, pick an area that resonates with you whether it be eliminating limiting beliefs, how to discover what fulfills you, Feng shui, or color psychology and start there. My hope is that readers understand our home is another pillar of wellness, not an afterthought.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am busy promoting the book, speaking, and coaching. I jumped back into interior design but am doing more decorating, e-design and consulting.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Our home as I refer to it is our “internal” world as well as our living environment. Our inner space is reflected outwardly, and our outer space is reflected internally. They are not separate but interconnected. Awareness is the mirror.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment