Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Q&A with Courtney Ramm

 

Courtney Ramm is the author of the new book Eris Rising: A Memoir of Finding the Warrior Within, which focuses on the impact of a toxic relationship. She is a dancer, choreographer, and teacher.

 

Q: You write, "In fact, I didn't want to write this book--or at the very least, my ego certainly didn't want to write it." What made you decide to write it after all?

A: Before I made the commitment to start writing, I continued to feel a strong inner calling to write, yet I was conflicted because a part of me didn’t want to put more energy into my past. I was afraid of making such a big commitment as finishing an entire book while at the same time, I knew that writing would be a healing process.

 

What finally made me decide to write was holding the vision of my completed book and sensing the feeling of purpose that would arise from sharing my truth with others who could relate.

Q: You describe some very difficult experiences. What impact did writing the book have on you?

A: As I wrote my memoir, I made it a point to tell my story without any embellishment–a pure recounting of what I went through. Writing in this way made me come to terms with what had happened.


It was painful at times to write about such difficult experiences, but the overall impact of writing this book was a strong sense of empowerment. I had given so much of my inner power away in the experiences I describe in the book, and putting it all down in writing was a way to get my power back, because my voice was no longer suppressed.

Q: How was the book's title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

A: I’ll be honest and say that picking a title was one of the hardest parts of writing a book! The title came at the very end, after the manuscript was complete and edited. I had a few different titles floating around in my head, and they would have been fine, but didn’t have that zing factor.

 

When I came up with the title Eris Rising: A Memoir of Finding the Warrior Within, there was a completeness within it, as the title encompasses Eris, an archetype for feminine strength, as well as the search for one’s inner warrior. While the plot of the book centers around a relationship, there is a spiritual aspect to the book as well which I think the title implies.

Q: What do you hope readers take away from your story?

A: My hope is that readers can see how the most difficult of circumstances can be transformed and that it’s possible to rebuild from the ashes–stronger, wiser and better than before. If readers have been through a confusing, unhealthy, or toxic relationship of any kind, they will find validation that they are not alone. It is more common than not to be fooled by superficial charisma and charm.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: Having recently completed my master’s degree in dance education at NYU, I am creating a holistic movement-based curriculum that combines my lifelong dance training with the strong values and lessons I took away from the experience I write about in my book.

 

Designed for early childhood, the curriculum teaches young children to tap into their inner strength through authentic movement. I am excited about releasing this new program in 2021!

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: I would love to stay in touch with readers and be of help in any way I can! You can find me at www.courtneyramm.com and on Instagram @courtney_ramm.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment