Saturday, May 1, 2021

Q&A with Kaira Rouda

 

Photo by Kristin Karkoska

 

Kaira Rouda is the author of the new novel The Next Wife. Her other books include the novel The Favorite Daughter. An entrepreneur and former magazine editor, she lives in Southern California.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Next Wife?

A: My husband and I created and ran a company together for years. I know how stressful it can be. You might say running a business with your spouse can be murder. Ha.

 

Seriously, though, that idea popped into my head along with all the people who try to get between you when you are running a company together, like say, a young executive assistant. From there, the ideas flowed.

Q: How did you choose your point-of-view characters for this novel?

A: This was fun to write because unlike Best Day Ever and The Favorite Daughter, several of my characters wanted a speaking role and I let them have one!


You’ll hear from John, the husband; Kate, the first wife; Tish, the second wife; and Ashlyn, John and Kate’s teenage daughter.

Q: Did you know how this book would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes?


A: I’m what’s called a punster…I write from my imagination each day, letting the characters dictate the story. It’s fun, and magical when it works to your agents’ liking. If not, it’s not so fun. I’m learning to outline now to avoid that sort of thing…wish me well. This novel, though, was super fun to write.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I just finished the first draft of my next novel. And yes, I outlined this time.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: Nope, just thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy The Next Wife!!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Kaira Rouda.

No comments:

Post a Comment