Monday, August 3, 2020

Q&A with Ernesto Cisneros


Ernesto Cisneros is the author of Efrén Divided, a new middle grade novel for kids. He is a teacher in Santa Ana, California.

Q: In the book's acknowledgments, you offer thanks to your children "for asking me to write this book." How did you come up with the idea for Efrén and his family?

A: During the 2016 elections, extremely hurtful misconceptions about the Latino community were handed a national platform. What had always been an underlying bias against the Latino community began to feel like an all-out attack.

I knew that I needed to do something to help change the narrative being created about us. I wanted my children and my students alike to feel proud of their heritage. It was also during the same year that three of my students had a parent deported mid-year. I felt obligated to speak up and help raise awareness of their plight.

Q: Given the ongoing discussions about deportations and family separations, what do you hope readers take away from your book?

A: Efrén Divided was my attempt at letting students everywhere know that they were not alone. That there is ample love and support for them. I also want readers to not lose sight of the humanity of families like Efrén’s.

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make changes along the way?

A: Unfortunately, I did know exactly how the story needed to end. As much as I would have provided a fairytale ending, I knew that was not the reality for kids like Efrén. The challenge was finding a way to end with the story with a feeling of hope—one that would inspire kids everything to feel empowered to create change.

Q: What do you see looking ahead when it comes to U.S. immigration policy and its impact on families like Efrén's?

A: As optimistic as I’d like to be, a lot remains to be seen. These upcoming elections will be crucial beginning for helping children like Efrén and their families. Fixing the immigration policy is challenging to say the least, however, blatant biases toward a selected group should have no place in the decision making. 

If people truly want to change the system, we need to do a better job of embracing each other. After all, we are all more alike than we are different.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I just completed my sophomore book tentatively titled One Shot. Two best friends starting middle school, both confronting issues tied to their families and self-worth.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: Yes. To all the aspiring writers who might read this…KEEP AT IT. DO NOT GIVE UP! The world deserves to hear your story. It took me well over 14 years of trying before my publication dream came true.

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment