Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Q&A with Nicola Edwards


Nicola Edwards is the author of the children's picture book You're My Little Cuddle Bug. She lives in East London.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for You're My Little Cuddle Bug?

A: Cuddle Bug began with its innovative novelty element, the parent and child peep-through pairs, and that was the brilliant brainchild of Caterpillar’s publisher, Tom Truong. My job was to then think of the cutest bug pairs there are and bring to life how these bug parents might enjoy time with their baby bugs.

Q: What do you hope people take away from the book?

A: This book is all about snuggling up with your little one and enjoying some special time together - especially at bedtime. I wanted give parents a way to express that all-encompassing love they have for their children in a gentle rhyme that speaks to kids and I want kids to feel that love and security every time they read this book. I want it to be a celebration of that special relationship between big bugs and baby bugs!

Q: What do you think Natalie Marshall's illustrations add to the book?

A: Natalie was an amazing find for this series because her characters are so cute without ever tipping over into being cutesy. Her colour palettes are fresh and fun and I think she really captures that feeling of love between the bug parents and their babies.

Q: Who are some of your favorite picture book authors and illustrators?

A: My all-time favourite illustrator is Júlia Sardà - her colours, the personality and humour in her characters, she’s just amazing. I also love Keith Negley, Jarvis and Owen Davey - among many others. I’m also a big fan at the moment of Natalia and Lauren O’Hara, the author-illustrators of The Bandit Queen. And of course I have to mention the master, Julia Donaldson herself!

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I’ve actually just returned to work after making my greatest masterpiece, my baby son! So I’ve just started writing some exciting new things, but not much I can mention yet, although I am working on a new book in the Cuddle Bug series.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: If they haven’t already, fans of Cuddle Bug should also check out You’re My Little Pumpkin Pie, the spookiest installment in the series!

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment