Saturday, January 2, 2021

Q&A with Jennifer Blecher

 

Photo by Nina Subin

Jennifer Blecher is the author of Stick with Me, a new middle grade novel for kids. She also has written the middle grade novel Out of Place. She lives in Massachusetts.

 

Q: How did you come up with the idea for Stick with Me, and for your characters Izzy and Wren?

 

A: I wanted to write about two girls who were thrown together for a short period of time under unusual circumstances. I wanted the girls to be different, but also more similar than they realized. I had an image of one girl in a bedroom and the other looking up at her from the street. The story grew from there.

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I made so many changes along the way! When I started writing I had a vague sense of how the story would end. As I got to know Izzy and Wren better, the plot of the ending changed but the spirit remained the same.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story?

 

A: That friendship is complicated. But sometimes a friend will come into your life for just a short period of time and be exactly what you need. 

 

Q: Which authors do you especially admire?

 

A: Rebecca Stead, Ali Benjamin, Janae Marks, Lauren Wolk, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, Jacqueline Woodson and so many more! 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: A middle grade novel that I'm really excited to share. That's all I can say for now!  

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: The opportunity to write novels for this age group is a huge privilege. I'm enormously grateful to my readers and the team of people who make these books possible.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment