Darin S. Cape is the author of the new middle grade graphic novel Zicky: Wrath of the Rat King. Darin S. Cape is the pen name of Shawn Hainsworth, publisher of SHP Comics. He lives in Western Massachusetts.
Q: What inspired you to create Zicky: Wrath of the Rat King?
A: Zicky began with stories I told my children when they were little. I would pretend to be a super-secret ninja who went on adventures while they slept.
I honestly can’t remember where the name came from. Zicky just seemed to pop into my head, complete with a voice and a personality. My children, Miles and Zoe, loved teasing him as much as they loved hearing about and contributing to his adventures.
As they grew older, I missed those freewheeling games, so I decided to bring Zicky to life in a graphic novel. I’ve always loved portal stories, from Alice in Wonderland to The Phantom Tollbooth, and the way fantasy can express what a character is experiencing emotionally.
The challenge was capturing the silliness of our original stories while giving Zicky an adventure grounded in family relationships and the growing pains of childhood.
Q: What do you think Zeno Decrux and Hiorsh Gabotto’s illustrations add to the book?
A: Their artwork gives the two worlds distinct personalities. Zeno brings kinetic, manga-inspired action to the fantasy world, while Hiorsh’s looser Western comic style captures the humor and everyday chaos of Zicky’s family life. Moving between those styles becomes part of the storytelling.
I planned to work with two artists from the beginning, but one of the most rewarding challenges came when the fantasy characters started invading the real world. One artist would sketch a page and leave room for the other to contribute, and we would pass it back and forth until the pieces worked together.
Both artists were creative partners. The way they collaborated and responded to each other’s work brought something to the book that I couldn’t have created on my own.
Q: Did you know how the story would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?
A: I knew the manga creatures would invade the real world and also how the story would end, but a lot of the adventures along the way, such as the King Snake, came to me as I was writing.
Working with artists and seeing the pages come to life always inspires new ideas, so I like having the time to let the story and characters lead me in different directions.
Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?
A: Mostly, I hope they have fun. I want readers to laugh, enjoy the adventure, and be surprised by where the story goes. There’s something wonderful about a book that makes a child eager to turn the page, especially when a parent can enjoy reading along.
The story explores imagination, family, courage, and learning to get along with others, but I don’t want those ideas to feel like lessons. I hope those themes emerge naturally because readers care about the story and the characters.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I am working on the next Zicky adventure, Zicky: The Cursed Blade, planned for the fall of 2027. In that story, Zicky is falsely accused of stealing a legendary sword inhabited by the spirit of an evil samurai. As that spirit begins to take hold of him, trouble spreads across both worlds.
This story draws more heavily on classic samurai tales and takes a darker turn than Wrath of the Rat King. I want each adventure to feel distinct while keeping the series grounded in Zicky’s family and the emotional lives of its characters.
I’m also developing other SHP Comics projects, including B.O. Wolf, a dual-timeline reimagining of Beowulf. Moving between different genres keeps me excited about writing.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: Much of Zicky’s real world comes directly from my family. I am the clueless but well-meaning dad, and my wife and children inspired their counterparts in the book. Even our dogs, Lily and Jango, appear as the lion-dog guardians of the portal. Tickle Robot grew out of a game in which I would chase down my kids and tickle them on the couch until I ran out of energy.
Those details make the book personal to me, but I hope other families recognize some of their own affectionate chaos in it. I love being a dad, and bringing our silly games to life has been one of the great pleasures of making this book.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. This Q&A was conducted in partnership with Darin S. Cape. Readers who follow along on this virtual book tour will have the chance to win one of 10 signed paperback copies of Zicky: Wrath of the Rat King. One lucky grand prize winner will also receive a Zicky poster and pins. Here's a previous Q&A with Shawn Hainsworth.



No comments:
Post a Comment