Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Q&A with Cheryl Alters Jamison and Leonardo Razatos

  



 

 

Cheryl Alters Jamison and Leonardo Razatos are the authors of the new book The Plaza Café Cookbook: Classic New Mexico Recipes from the Santa Fe Landmark. Jamison's other books include Smoke & Spice. Razatos is the co-owner of the Plaza Café in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  

 

Q: Why did you decide to write this book together, and what was your writing process like?


Leonardo here: It’s been a dream of mine for years to have a book that captures the Plaza’s history and recipes. It was a matter of finding the best writer for the project.

 

I was thrilled when Cheryl, a four-time James Beard award-winning author, who has written some of my favorite cookbooks, and is also my neighbor, agreed to work with me on The Plaza Cafe Cookbook.

 

Cheryl here: I first ate at the Plaza in September 1980, shortly after I moved to Santa Fe, and have been a customer ever since. I loved the food, and admired the family behind it, and felt I could help tell their fascinating history.

 

Leonardo and I had extensive conversations, and then I would go home and write up each section, for Leonardo’s later input. I tested all the recipes in my home kitchen, and Leonardo would come by and we’d taste them together.

 

Q: How did you choose the recipes to include in the book?


A: That was easy. We included everything the restaurant serves.

 

Q: What do you think Douglas Merriam’s photographs add to the book?


Leonardo here: Doug, a very respected Santa Fe-based food photographer, has worked with me for years, photographing the restaurant’s food and staff, and we have an easy relationship.

 

I think he captures the vibrancy of our food well. The food leaps off the pages. Cheryl has worked with him for years too, as former culinary editor of New Mexico Magazine and for many other projects.

 

Q: The author Kelley Cleary Coffeen said of the book, “Part memoir, part menu, this cookbook is a refined celebration of culture, comfort, and history...” What do you think of that description?


A: We LOVED that description. Kelley hit on the book’s key elements.

 

Q: What are you working on now?


Leonardo here: My husband Giuliano and I are working on nurturing our newest restaurant, an Italian cousin to our two Plaza Cafes, called Piazza Caffe.

 

Cheryl here: I’m heading off to Italy and France, to lead one of my many European culinary tours in conjunction with the French firm, Tour with Absolutely. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?


A: We both appreciate the support of the restaurant’s staff and guests and our great working relationship with UNM Press.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment