Ellen Prentiss Campbell is the author of the new novel Vanishing Point. Her other books include Frieda's Song. She lives in Washington, D.C., and in Pennsylvania.
Q: What inspired you to write Vanishing Point?
A: Visiting a museum in SW Pennsylvania, I was struck by a small 19th landscape painting by an artist unfamiliar to me, George Hetzel, and a reference to his Scalp Level Art Colony. I felt a hunch there was a story for me there, a novel.
I began a cursory Google exploration and at first thought the author’s apparent success, like the painting’s beauty, were perhaps just too idyllic. No trouble, no story, you know. But I dug further and began to uncover so much trouble, mystery, and story!
Q: How did you research this novel, and what did you learn that especially surprised you?
A: I researched the novel on and off from 2015 through 2025, and wrote several drafts as my story and understanding of the characters developed.
I travelled throughout the region – Pittsburgh, Somerset, Greensburg – visiting museums, libraries, archives, a courthouse. I used primary documents, art exhibit catalogues, online digitized newspapers as well.
I met the family who now live in the Hetzel family’s Somerset home; their kindness, sharing what they knew, letting me inhabit for a bit the Hetzel home, was invaluable. I attended talks by current day painters and conservators in the region.
But also, I welcome finding some important questions research alone cannot solve, room for imagination. I write fiction, not history or biography!
Q: How was the book’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?
A: Great question! My draft originally was called simply “Scalp Level Novel.” But “Scalp Level” is too grim and ugly for the title. (It’s still a place name, and also still an old Pennsylvania expression used to describe mowing or levelling fields, and reflects the dark history of land appropriation and settlement).
This novel is a family story, and it is a family of artists. I tried other titles on like "Still Life" (which has a double meaning, which I love). "Vanishing Point" works on several levels too, art and the family.
Q: How would you describe the relationship between Lila and Dorothy?
A: As mother and daughter, Lila and Dorothy have a very intense bond. Each is the most important person to the other. Dorothy believes in Lila’s gifts, Dorothy in Lila’s, and that can be both affirming and lead to disappointment. Theirs is not a simple relationship, but fiercely loving.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: Honestly, Deborah, right now I find it hard to do new writing. I love each book I write, become connected to the characters. I always feel a deep commitment to getting the characters, the story, out to readers.
You have your new novel out now, too, and we’ve been on the book tour trail, book publicity campaign, together a bit this time. Super fun and supportive.
So my idea for a new novel is pushed aside for now. I continue doing my blog “Girl Writing” for the Washington Independent. Blogged about the Vanishing Point launch party at the Hetzel Studio! Here’s the link: https://ellencampbellbooks.com/party-like-its-1905/
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: Please check out my website for lots of back story about my books and me! www.ellencampbellbooks.com
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Ellen Prentiss Campbell.


No comments:
Post a Comment