Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Q&A with Lauren Lee Smith

  


 

 

Lauren Lee Smith is the author of the new novel The Night Pool. She lives in Southern California. 

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Night Pool, and how did you create your characters Clara, Haloke, and Mei?

 

A: I grew up on rural acreage near Coloma[, California,] and participated in field trips to the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park as well as neighboring sites like Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park, Empire Mine State Historic Park, etc., as well as countless small, neighboring gold rush towns.

 

I became very interested in history, yet I noticed early on that so much of what is available only seemed to center men’s stories, as though women were not even present.

 

Of course, we know now that so much of the historical record omits or outright erases women’s experiences and accomplishments, but I desperately wanted to hear about the diverse, brave women who lived in these frontier places, to imagine and see the world through their eyes.

 

I created Clara, Haloke, Mei, and my other characters to create a conversation around what this life might have looked like. 

 

Q: How did you research the novel, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

 

A: The Gold Rush caused a massive collision of cultures in a very short span of time, setting off indescribable destruction of land, water, and prior established ways of life led by the Indigenous peoples of California.

 

I think we all sort of know that American history is riddled with horrors, but reading about real events during the research process was very shocking. It is truly terrifying what men are capable of, when there are resources, fortunes, and egos at stake.

 

I found myself wondering, if such wickedness is known, what happened that was never recorded? What was buried in the dry hills, never to be spoken of? 

 

Q: The author Cynthia Pelayo said of the book, “The Night Pool is a fever dream of gold and blood, where the land itself remembers what was taken. Here, women confront the brutality of the frontier and the haunting darkness that stalks the ravaged banks of Gold Rush–era Coloma.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I am honored to receive such words from Cynthia. She is a fellow mom and a very prolific, talented, and hard-working writer. She is an inspiration to me and I so appreciate her support. She has a new dark fairytale retelling out called It Came From Neverland, and everyone should check it out!

 

Q: As you’ve noted, the novel is set in Coloma, California, during the Gold Rush--how important is setting to you in your writing?

 

A: As with many gothic novels, setting is crucial. But I chose Coloma because despite its massive importance in history as the town that fast-tracked Western expansion by setting off mass migration into California, it is seldom the focus of media exploration.

 

It has become a sleepy little town for school field trips and rafting tours, but its history is incredibly important and should be shared and taught.

 

But I am seeing more coverage of California history lately. There is a new docuseries I’m looking forward to called People of the West, which details California Indigenous history through native voices and storytelling. (ref:www.instagram.com/peopleofthewestseries)

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I have a handful of projects in progress, hope to have more good news about them soon. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Looking forward to sharing The Night Pool with readers who love horror and history, and championing the underdeveloped genre of the feminist historical horror Western!

 

My work might be considered a niche genre blend, but it has so much potential to teach us about our history in the American West, and about ourselves. Thank you so much for the opportunity to discuss my work.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment