Clara Rhodes is the author of the new novel The Bone Dagger. She is also a nurse.
Q: What inspired you to write The Bone Dagger, and how did you create your character Helaina?
A: The Bone Dagger came from a deep love for fantasy books that helped me navigate a very intense time of grief. I lost both my siblings to suicide, the most recent being in 2024.
Fantasy books were a wonderful space for me to connect with characters who overcame unimaginable hardship and I wanted to create my own story that gave readers that same mental escape and hope to get past difficult times in their everyday life.
My main character, Helaina, was inspired by my own gritty journey through grief. She is by no means a direct reflection of myself but her dilemma of whether to stay stagnant and do nothing, or fight back against those that cost her so much was a parallel to my own decision.
Whether to take hold of the power she was cursed with, or stay stuck in her self-loathing was a very deliberate choice. I think she is relatable in her weakness, and admirable in the strength she discovers.
I also couldn’t help but make her a healer in some way, due to my own nursing background. I wanted to include some minor medical elements in my fantasy world because of my love for my career as a nurse.
Q: I'm so sorry about the loss of your siblings...
How did you create the world in which the story is set?
A: The world came from a few different inspirations. Specifically, Elkron came from my love for A Court of Thorns and Roses and the trials that took place under the mountain. I loved the idea of a fortress/stronghold being located underground, so I knew I wanted a bulk of the story to take place in a labyrinth of caves.
The magic system between gods and mortals was strongly influenced by Greek mythology.
Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?
A: Yes! The last chapter has remained the same since the beginning. I knew I wanted this story to be written as a duology, so the ending to book one was very important. And I really wanted book one to go out with a bang. I wanted the readers to cheer for our female main character, but also be left wondering if her fate is decided, or will she change it?
I did know early on that I wanted Helaina to find peace in her loss in a small way. So her trial towards the end remains one of my favorite scenes. That scene I edited multiple times to get it exactly right.
Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?
A: Amongst the many themes, I think my main take away for the series is that love came first. Before grief and heartache, there was love, even when it's very hard to remember.
I want readers to enjoy the lore and adventure my story offers, but most importantly I want it to send a message of hope, that one day when healing can set in, grief fades if you let it.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: Currently, working on the best possible version of Book 2 of The Out of Darkness Series is top priority. I am also about halfway complete with another fantasy book that deals in dreams and those with the power to manipulate our imaginations.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I think those that enjoyed The Bone Dagger’s world building and magic will be pleased with the direction Book 2 takes. There are unexpected twists, and it delivers high on romance and action just like The Bone Dagger. I am very excited to share it next year, July 2027!
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment