Erica Kent is the author of the new novel Black Dog. Her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including StoryQuarterly. She lives in Portland, Maine.
Q: What inspired you to write Black Dog, and how did you create your character Jessica?
A: In an “big picture” way, I was inspired by the idea of recreating the cultural context of the 1980s in Boston. In a “small picture” way, I wanted to follow the character of Jessica Ryder as she journeys from active addiction to sobriety.
People have asked about how much of the book is autobiographical, and I can honestly say much of it is fiction. I’ve had the character of Jessica in me for many years. I care for and emphasize with her, but she is her own character.
That being said, the kind of emotional core of the story comes from my experience of being an addict at a young age and eventually getting sober at age 20. But the circumstances and plot within the book are very different from my own.
Q: The author Steve Almond said of the book, “Our heroine, Jess, is a drugged-out descendent of Holden Caulfield, soft-hearted, foul-mouthed, insightful to the point of pain.” What do you think of that description?
A: I love that description. It feels like it’s coming from a place of understanding and empathy.
Q: How was the novel’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?
A: The title’s a nod to the Led Zeppelin song, as well as to the historical reference, the most famous instance being when Winston Churchill referred to his depression as a “black dog.” That analogy has always felt right.
In my novel, the character of Black Dog is the embodiment of addiction, which often includes depression. One of the main ideas in the book is that Black Dog doesn’t die. You just learn to live with it.
But, in doing so and staying sober, you can become attuned to what’s referred to as a “Higher Power.” This power doesn’t necessarily mean God. It can mean a million things, only that it’s something larger than you. In an essential way, it means living expansively rather than being caught in the stranglehold of active addiction.
Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?
A: I never know the ending of something when I start. For me, it’s critical to have things wide open in order to cultivate a sense of surprise, both for me as a writer, as well as the reader.
Also, I tend to work recursively. I might lay out a pretty terrible first draft, but then I go back to the beginning, start reworking things, go forward a bit, and then back, again and again. Sometimes I start in the middle and go forward; sometimes I start at the end.
It’s kind of a crazy way to write, but if the preceding parts of a story aren’t where they need to be, the forthcoming parts won’t be either. The larger structure emerges later. It needs to spring organically from the text rather than being imposed on the story.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I am working on a series of stories about women called Female Trouble. The stories deal largely with the body, the kinds of things women carry and endure, such as motherhood, miscarriage, sickness, grief, hope, and resiliency.
There is also humor in them, which I consider a vital part of creating contrast and balance within the emotional truth of a given story.
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: People can find me at ericakent.com. I love hearing from readers.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment