Sunday, October 6, 2024

Q&A with Ryan Cowan

 


 

Ryan Cowan is the author of the middle grade novel Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal. A longtime educator, he is based in Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal? 

 

A: My work as a teacher inspired me to write Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal. Additionally, the book is loosely inspired by the ‘80s cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

 

My love for Halloween, and its spooky, mysterious Halloween vibes also inspired me to write the book. I wanted to write a Halloween story that could possibly become a yearly tradition for people. 

 

Q: How did you create your characters Elliott and Mr. Moonbeam? 

 

A: One day I sat down at my computer, without any plan or forethought to the story, and wrote, “Elliott watched as the wind and rain came crashing…” I really can’t explain where Elliott and Mr. Moonbeam came from, but I think they are both a reflection of myself.


Q: Did you know how the story would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way? 

 

A: I had no idea how the book would end. In fact, I wrote 75 percent of the story, got stuck, and spent several years continually editing what I had written. 

 

Then one summer, I decided to finish the book. I used graphic organizers to sketch out the ending, stuck to a strict schedule, and finished it. I was very happy with the ending – especially the smile on Elliott’s face! 

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book? 

 

A: The main idea of Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal is very simple: Teaching is hard. My intent was to show, metaphorically, the difficulties of teaching. 

 

However, I appreciate it when readers come to their own conclusions about the story. Some people have told me it reminds them of Halloween memories. Children have told me they visualize it as a movie. 

 

Whatever the case, my dream is that The Halloween Crystal, and all subsequent stories, live on long after I am gone...   

 

Q: What are you working on now? 

 

A: I have finished the sequel, Mr. Moonbeam and the Legends of Moonstone, so I am editing the manuscript and will send it to a professional editor soon. Then it will be designed, illustrated, and published. I can’t wait to release it. 

 

In January 2025, I will begin writing the third book, tentatively titled Mr. Moonbeam and the Secrets of Mossy Mansion.  😊

 

Q: Anything else we should know? 

 

A: I love my fans and engage with them online! You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, and you can also follow me on Amazon. 

 

I recently received a book in the mail from a reader, which I happily signed and sent back in a prepaid envelope. I love engaging with people who’ve read my book. Soon, I’ll have a webpage! 

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. This post was created in partnership with Ryan Cowan. Enter this giveaway to win a signed copy of Mr. Moonbeam and the Halloween Crystal, and an exclusive, limited-edition themed T-shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment