Saturday, October 5, 2024

Q&A with Joyce Schriebman

 


 

 

Joyce Schriebman is the author of the new children's picture book Oy, Santa!: Or, There's a Latke to Learn about Hanukkah. Also an educator and interfaith activist, she lives in Connecticut.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Oy, Santa!, and how did you create your character Oliver?

 

A: Interesting you should ask about Oliver. Brace yourself. Originally Oliver was a girl. But many early readers thought the main character's sassy challenges to Santa would sound better coming from a boy!

 

I tried to hold onto my convictions and keep the MC a feisty little girl. But the story was becoming more and more about HER, overshadowing the relationship between a child and Santa and Hanukkah and Christmas.

 

Eventually I tried to see the story through the eyes of a young boy and am happy with the outcome. But I’m not done exploring this concession and hope to write a blog soon about this (and maybe still write that book about a feisty girl!).

 

Q: What do you think Gila von Meissner’s illustrations add to the story? 

 

A: Isn’t she wonderful! As a debut author, I had no idea what to expect, although I hoped that my vision and the illustrator’s vision would at least complement each other if not match. I saw some of the early sketches and was over the moon!

 

Gila created a warm, lovable Santa and also captured the sweetness and cheekiness of Ollie. Plus she put so many hidden gems in the pictures that readers are continually pointing out new discoveries that I never noticed! (I particularly love the Team Applesauce and Team Sour Cream signs!)

 

I’m so grateful to Intergalactic Afikoman for finding the perfect artist to make this story come alive!


Q: Why did you decide to write the book in the form of correspondence between Oliver and Santa?

 

A: Another interesting question… I was inspired to write “my next story” after I saw a book of Dear Santa letters in a bookstore. I’d been thinking about writing a Hanukkah book with a different slant than other Hanukkah books I’d read.

 

But I couldn’t find the right entry point. I wanted to get inside the head of a young Jewish child, but first person didn’t feel right. (Isn’t it cool how so much of our writing is about FEELING!)

 

That serendipitous trip to the bookstore was just the impetus I needed to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys!) I sat down an hour later in a coffee shop and wrote, Dear Santa… The rest just flowed.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book? 

 

A: Oy, Santa! is a book for readers of all faiths. First and foremost, I hope all readers enjoy the book and its punny humor, delightful illustrations, and the general whimsy of the story.

 

For kids who celebrate Christmas, I’d like them to come away understanding that other people have holidays that are just as special as Christmas is for them (and maybe learn a little about Hanukkah.)

 

For Jewish kids, I hope they find a kindred spirit in Ollie’s enthusiasm for Hanukkah and that they also find the language and pluck to (politely) correct misinformation about the relationship between Hanukkah and Christmas.

 

And for everyone else who doesn’t celebrate Christmas, I hope those readers find allyship in the book’s references to other people around the world who don’t celebrate Christmas.

 

Q: What are you working on now?  

 

A: I have two current projects. One is a picture book I’ve been working on for a while that’s based on a true story about a peace center in Israel-Palestine. The other is a novel in verse that answers the simple question of what it means to be Jewish. Yeah, I know. Not exactly lightweight subjects. But, when the muse calls, the muse calls.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?  

 

A: I’d love to hear how readers feel about Oy, Santa! They can email me JoyceS.Author@gmail.com

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment