Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Q&A with Terri Libenson

  


 

 

 

Terri Libenson is the author and illustrator of the new middle grade graphic novel Seriously, Celia?, the latest in her Emmie & Friends series. She lives in Cleveland. 

 

Q: Why did you choose Celia and Grace as your point-of-view characters in your new novel?

 

A: I chose them partly because I wanted to explore what makes a “mean girl” (Celia) tick, and because so many readers have requested Celia and Grace as main characters.

 

I’ve planted some mystery around Celia’s home life in my other books, which has generated interest in her back story. I guess I’ve been teasing her as a main character for a while.

 

Q: What do you think the novel says about popularity and bullying in middle school?

 

A: That they can be tied together and occur within close friend groups. Still, the bullying cycle can most definitely be broken. In this book, I try to allow paths for that to happen.

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Celia and Grace?

 

A: I would describe it as toxic. There’s an imbalance their relationship. Celia seemingly has all the power and Grace – although she cares about Cee – can’t seem to break away from their friendship. She is worried she’d be all alone and unpopular without Cee.

 

The story asks the question: are some friendships worth it or not? Readers get to see that play out.

 

Q: And how would you describe Celia’s life at home with her family?

 

A: Celia is unintentionally neglected by her family. Her little sister is chronically ill and tends to occupy their parents’ time and energy. This explains why Cee tries hard to control her own life and those in it – it’s the only way she feels she has any power.

 

Q: What are you working on now? What's next in the series?

 

A: I am working on Book 11, which may finally conclude the series (we’ll see)! In the meantime, I’ve enjoyed a later launch date, which has freed up my time to work on new projects outside the series. I’m brainstorming other graphic novels as well as an adult book. We’ll see what pans out (so exciting and scary)!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Sure, Seriously, Celia? comes out on September 29. You can pre-order the book here. P.S. Although the book deals with some serious topics, it’s balanced with all the Emmie & Friends trademark humor.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Terri Libenson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment