Katie Moss is the author of the new children's picture book Build a Sukkah with Me. It focuses on the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. Moss is based in the UK.
Q: What inspired you to write Build a Sukkah with Me?
A: I loved the idea of sharing a Sukkot tradition through the excitement of making something together. Building a sukkah is often a communal activity, and I wanted readers to feel as though they were joining in every step of the way.
Whether it's collecting branches, hanging decorations or laying the table for family and friends to join, there are so many ways for children to play a part. My hope was to capture not just what a sukkah is, but the anticipation, teamwork and joy that surround creating one.
Q: What do you think Orit Magia’s illustrations add to the book?
A: So much warmth and personality! Orit’s illustrations are full of rich colors, joyful energy, and gorgeous little details that invite children to linger and look again, from the different decorations to the curious cat who pops up throughout (always getting up to something sweet or mischievous!).
I think that’s one of the real joys of picture books – every reread offers something new to discover. Whether Sukkot is already familiar or completely new to a reader, Orit makes the celebration feel welcoming, vibrant and full of life.
Q: What are some of your own favorite traditions for Sukkot?
A: Although we never had a sukkah at home, I loved helping to decorate the sukkah at my synagogue when I was growing up. There was something special about adding your own little contribution to a place where so many people in the community would gather to celebrate.
My favorite part was spending time there after dark – being allowed to stay up way past bedtime with my friends, listening to stories under the stars.
Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book?
A: Even if readers won’t be building a sukkah themselves, I hope they’ll come away with a better sense of what Sukkot is all about and perhaps be inspired to celebrate in their own way – whether that’s making a paper chain to hang at home, asking a grandparent about their favorite Sukkot memory or convincing their family to eat outdoors together.
More than anything, I hope children will see that these traditions are really about bringing people together.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: Alongside editing children’s books as a day job, I’m always scribbling down new story ideas. Although I write about a lot of different subjects, I do love finding playful ways to introduce Jewish traditions and festivals to young readers.
There are a few new ideas bubbling away at the moment, and I’m excited to see which one finds its way onto the page next!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: One thing I love about Sukkot is that no two sukkahs are ever exactly the same. Every family and community decorates theirs differently, and each one reflects the people who build it.
Even so, we tried to stay true to the traditional features of a sukkah in the book – like the leafy roof, made from natural materials, which provides shade during the day while still letting you catch a glimpse of the stars at night.
I’d encourage readers to find out the meaning behind each element of the sukkah – it’s a wonderful way to discover more about the story of Sukkot.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment