Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Q&A with Jule Wellerdiek

  


 

 

Jule Wellerdiek is the author and illustrator of the new children's picture book A Trophy for the Jackal, translated from German to English by Elisabeth Lauffer. Wellerdiek's other books include Worm's Lost and Found. She lives in Bochum, Germany. 

 

Q: What inspired you to create A Trophy for the Jackal?

 

A: It's a story about ambition, the desire to please, and narcissism. Jackal certainly has a lot in common with some influential adults we know from real life—politicians, for example.

 

What makes the story unusual is that there's no redemption and no clear moral. The ending is left open. That's fairly uncommon and controversial in children's books. But it didn't feel right to pretend that the real world works differently. People like Jackal often get away with their behavior. They talk their way out of trouble and still end up getting exactly what they want.

 

Q: Did you work on the text first or the illustrations first--or both simultaneously?

 

A: For me, writing and illustrating usually happen simultaneously. I like when the words and pictures evolve together and complete each other. The relationship between text and illustration can be a great way to create humor, tension, and surprise. I guess that’s what makes a good picture book.

 

Q: The School Library Journal review of the book says, “The writing is sharp and humorous, translated from German with a rhythmic cadence that emphasizes the mounting absurdity of the awards.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I’m certain that translating the book hasn’t been easy, since the original relies heavily on wordplay and verbal humor. Elisabeth Lauffer did a wonderful job of capturing both the rhythm and the spirit of the text. I'm beyond happy with the English edition!

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book?

 

A: First and foremost, I hope they enjoy a funny story about an utterly outrageous jackal. Children immediately recognize that he's not a good role model.

 

Beyond that, I hope the book starts conversations—about healthy and unhealthy ambition, about wanting to win and dealing with not-winning. About when it's important to speak up instead of staying silent.

 

On a broader level, it can also lead to discussions about where an unhealthy need for recognition comes from and how we, as a society, respond to it.

 

Whenever I read the book aloud, I ask children what they think happens after the story ends. More often than not, they come to the same conclusion: the animals need to talk to Jackal! They need to confront him, tell him that his behavior isn't okay, and maybe even try to understand why he acts the way he does.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: There are always new stories on my desk. They usually grow out of whatever questions or topics I'm thinking about at the time: what makes a home, dealing with loss, asking for consent. Right now, I'm working on a project about nightmares, and next I'd love to write a story about nostalgia.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Here's a fun bit of trivia: one of the reasons I chose a jackal as my main character is because the German word for jackal rhymes with the word for trophy: Ein Pokal für den Schakal. Sadly, that's one joke that doesn't survive translation.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment