Ann McCallum Staats is the author, with Karen Nyberg, of the new children's picture book A Quilt of Stars: Astronaut Karen Nyberg Stitches a Dream. Staats's other books include High Flyers. She is a former educator, and she lives in Virginia.
Q: How did you and Karen Nyberg end up writing this book together? What was the writing process like?
A: When I was researching subjects to include in another book, this one YA, I reached out to Karen and interviewed her. But in High Flyers: 15 Inspiring Women Aviators and Astronauts, my focus was on Karen’s incredible determination and perseverance to become an astronaut.
When we connected after that book was published, we talked about her experience of sewing a community quilt square in space and inviting the world to participate. We realized that this was a story that needed to be told, too.
We decided on a younger audience and picture book format because of theme of connectedness and the opportunity for beautiful illustrations.
I’ve never co-authored before, but thankfully the process of writing together was a smooth one. Karen is absolutely amazing! We worked via Zoom meetings and phone calls since we live on opposite ends of the country. We went back and forth many times as we polished the story and worked out details.
Then, when Familius offered us a contract, again things flowed. It took two years to get the book published, but it was a fun and rewarding process.
Q: What do you think Alida Massari’s illustrations add to the book?
A: When Familius first shared Alida’s sketches, we were both thrilled with the result. I personally love the color palette and the sense of hope and possibility that Alida brings to each spread.
When Karen and I first saw the images in color, we went over each one and talked about our favorites. She especially loves the ones of her family.
I’m most drawn to the first spread where it shows Karen as a little girl gazing up at the stars. It shares the faith of a child that she would one day achieve what seemed like an impossible dream at the time.
I also love the illustration of Karen gazing from the cupola on the International Space Station down on Earth. This represents a huge theme of the book—the world is like a patchwork quilt of people and places, each connected to the beautiful whole.
Q: How did you research the book, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you?
A: I’d already done quite a bit of research into Karen’s life because of my other book, but still, I’ve never traveled to space. I asked Karen a lot of detail about what that experience was like because I wanted to at least get a sense of the feeling of seeing our world from the outside.
One thing that struck me was when Karen said how stepping away from Earth changed her. Looking down on our complex and stunning world from the International Space Station, she got a renewed and powerful sense of how critical it is to fight for the health of our planet.
It’s a true gift to all of us to have such an amazing planet to call home. This isn’t surprising, I suppose, but it really hit home for me.
Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?
A: As parents and caregivers and the ones handing off the world to the younger generation, we have a huge responsibility. I hope that kids will feel inspired by Karen’s story and that it may seed whatever dreams they set about accomplishing themselves later in life.
I know I’m inspired and awed by Karen’s story. She comes from humble roots, not that different from how I grew up, actually. She grew up in a tiny town in Minnesota; I come from a remote village in Canada. Of course, the similarities end there, but, wow, the whole idea of her succeeding in becoming an astronaut against the odds …
Then, while in space when she engaged the world in a community sewing project, it became a metaphor for how we are all different, but connected by our humanity. It’s mind-boggling—and beautiful.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: Well, of course, everything is top secret until we actually land a contract. But suffice it to say, I’m working with another collaborator from the NASA community. Fingers crossed that we can make a book together.
I’m also working on a middle-grade novel, but boy, that genre is a different animal for sure! I seem to always have my fingers in a number of different projects. We’ll see which one sparks interest first!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: I’d love to share the book trailer we made for A Quilt of Stars. Note that the background images of space are from Karen’s personal collection. And the song is an excerpt of the theme song composed by Dr. G and the Range Shadows. (Yes, that’s my husband—he hired a session musician for the singing part.)
Book Trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Xkc05M5k0
There’s also a downloadable educator’s guide and details about author visits on my website. Website link: https://annmccallumbooks.com/
Finally, Karen and I are doing a national tour to share the book. I’m also doing some local events on my own. We kick off the launch with a program at the National Children’s Museum on Sept. 26.
We have another event at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum on Oct. 30 along with tour stops in Miami, Houston, and Seattle. I’m also doing a couple of events in the D.C. region including Barnes & Noble Fairfax on Oct. 3 and Scrawl Books on Oct. 24. It’s going to be a busy but fun fall season!
Thanks for having me on your blog, Deborah. I appreciate all you do for the writing world!
--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Ann McCallum Staats.


No comments:
Post a Comment