Friday, July 27, 2018

Q&A with Anita Hughes


Anita Hughes, photo by Sheri Geoffreys
Anita Hughes is the author of the new novel California Summer. Her other novels include Monarch Beach and Market Street. She lives in Dana Point, California.

Q: How did you come up with the idea for California Summer, and for your character Rosie?

A: I came up with the idea for California Summer remembering a bad break-up with a boyfriend. You can put your whole heart and soul into a relationship and then it's over and you have nothing. It's a frightening feeling. I wanted to make Rosie grow from the experience, and become much more confident.

Q: The book sets up a contrast between Rosie's life in Los Angeles and the new community she builds for herself in Montecito. What made you choose those two locations?

A: I spent a few days in Montecito and fell in love with it. It's so close to Los Angeles - and people from LA are frequent visitors - but the pace of life is different, there's a real small-town feeling. And it's one of the prettiest places I've ever visited!

Q: What do you think the book says about summertime, and possibilities that might occur then?

A: I think the book says that summertime is a period for re-invention. You can take a deep breath and see what is making you happy and what isn't working and make changes accordingly.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors?

A: I love Elin Hildebrand, Mary Kay Andrews, Jane Green and Liane Moriarty.

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I just finished edits on Christmas at the Chalet, which is set in St. Moritz and comes out in October. I love Christmas books and this one was a joy to write.

Q: Anything else we should know?

A: Thank you for having me! Connecting with readers is my favorite part of writing.

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Anita Hughes.

No comments:

Post a Comment