Monday, April 22, 2024

Q&A with Tina Gabrielle

 


 

 

Tina Gabrielle is the author of the new novel Make Mine a Marquess. Her other novels include How Not to Marry a Duke. Also an attorney and mechanical engineer, she lives in New Jersey.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Make Mine a Marquess, and how did you create your characters Phoebe and Robert?

 

A: I loved writing Phoebe and Robert! Make Mine a Marquess is an enemies to lovers romance. It’s also the third book in my Daring Ladies series, although all my books are standalone reads. What makes the series special is the diversity in the books.

 

The heroines in the first two books, One Night with an Earl and How Not to Marry a Duke, are half Mediterranean and half English. In a twist, the heroine in Make Mine a Marquess is half English and half diverse.

 

Robert, the Marquess of Landon, is thought to be lost at sea. When he returns five years later, he seeks revenge by setting his sights on Phoebe, his enemy’s betrothed. But Phoebe is spirited and intelligent and not what he expects…

 

As for myself, I’m a first generation Armenian American. My parents owned a restaurant for 30 years in South Jersey and I grew up in the business. Food plays a large role in my culture.

 

My historical romances are unique because each includes Mediterranean recipes from my family’s restaurant in the back of the books. Think of shish kebab, hummus and tabouleh. Yum!


Q: Did you need to do any research to write the novel, and if so, did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

 

A: I have file cabinets dedicated to research! I write Regency period romance. I’ve been to London, but not in the 1800s! I’m also an attorney and I could research all day long. It’s a challenge to stop researching and start writing.

 

As for the Mediterranean aspect of my characters, I used my own background and family recipes. The best kind of “research!”

 

Q: How does this book relate to the others in the Daring Ladies series?

 

A: All my books are standalone novels but they feature glittering ballrooms as well as the less rich parts of the city where diverse members of London gathered and lived. The contrast is fascinating and historically accurate.

 

I was thrilled when How Not to Marry a Duke received fabulous reviews from Publishers Weekly and Library Journal. It was also a double winner in the prestigious NJ Romance Writers Golden Leaf award for best historical and best book by a NJ author.

 

Even more than thrilling at the reviews, I was happy readers liked the series. I hope they enjoy the upcoming Make Mine a Marquess as well.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the novel?

 

A: First, I hope they love romance. Second, I hope they enjoy the cultural aspect and the recipes.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m hard at work on another Regency historical romance. Details to come soon!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: First, thank you for featuring me. Another interesting tidbit is that I also write cozy mysteries as Tina Kashian. Hummus and Homicide is the first book in my bestselling Kebab Kitchen series.

 

Readers can connect with me in my newsletter where I share upcoming releases, run contests to win romance books, and post recipes.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me and sharing the release of "Make Mine a Marquess"

    ReplyDelete