Sunday, April 28, 2024

Q&A with Lisa Greenwald

 


 

 

Lisa Greenwald is the author of the new middle grade novel Ellie's Deli: Wishing on Matzo Ball Soup!. Her many other books include the Friendship List series. She lives in New York.

 

 

Q: What inspired you to write Ellie’s Deli, and how did you create your character Ellie and her family?

 

A: A love of deli and grandparents inspired Ellie’s Deli. I was super close to my grandparents growing up and I wanted to write about a character who had that relationship as well. Add in a deli setting and voila - it all came together!

 

Q: How did you choose the recipes you included in the book, and do you have a particular favorite?

 

A: I went through the recipe box I got as an engagement gift and then also my mom's recipe packet and selected my favorites. My bubbie's matzo ball recipe is my ULTIMATE favorite.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book called it a “cute and concretely Jewish take on a classic storyline.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I love this description. I love to write about Judaism in a way that feels accessible and comfortable. And writing about kids saving the day is one of my favorite storylines.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story?

 

A: I hope kids take away the importance of family and how food brings communities together!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I'm working on the sequel to Fortune Tellers, which comes out May 7! The sequel will be out in May 2025.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Every morning as I drop my kids off at school, I tell them "be good, be kind, be useful." I took this from a saying the Obamas used with their girls and I think it's a good instruction for all of us. :)

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment