Sunday, April 21, 2024

Q&A with Sheila Yasmin Marikar

 

Photo by Will Tee Tang

 

 

Sheila Yasmin Marikar is the author of the new novel Friends in Napa. She also has written the novel The Goddess Effect. Also a journalist, she lives in Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Friends in Napa, and how did you create your cast of characters?

 

A: A few years ago, my husband was on a tear of reading murder mysteries that were set in Napa, and it got me thinking about whether I could do something similar, but with my own spin — a murder mystery wrapped in a dark, satirical comedy.

 

When it came to characters, I looked to my own group of friends, many whom have known me for 20+ years, since our college days. The characters in Friends in Napa are more evil and awful than anyone I know, but they are loosely inspired by people I’ve met.


Q: Can you say more about why you chose the Napa Valley as the setting for your novel, and how important is setting to you in your writing?

 

A: I’ve lived in California for more than a decade, and I’ve been to Napa more times than I can count. I am friends with winemakers, hoteliers, and chefs who live in the valley, and while it has never been my home, it feels familiar to me in a way that other wine regions do not.

 

Thus far, if I’m going to set a book in a place, I need to have experienced it myself, firsthand. It’s impossible for me to capture the essence of a setting otherwise.

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I knew the victim, the murderer, and how I wanted the pieces to come together in the end. Getting from point A to B, though, required several reroutes.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A: That no one is all good or all bad, and that our conceptions of good and evil are fungible. Context matters. 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: Several journalistic projects and one fictional idea that’s still simmering :)

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Visit Napa! It’s delightful, and there are so many different ways to experience it. You don’t have to go all-out opulent — though you certainly can if you want to. It’s one of my favorite places in the world.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment