Friday, April 26, 2024

Q&A with Dee Kelly Jr.

 


 

 

 

Dee Kelly Jr. is the author of the new novel The Malachi Covenant. Also an attorney, he lives in Fort Worth, Texas.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Malachi Covenant, and how did you create your characters Maggie Shepherd and Malachi Popov?

 

A: This book started with a long untapped idea I had about writing a novel about the real Saint Nicholas and his evolution into the character we all now recognize as Santa Claus. 

 

But the more I dug in to my research, the more fascinated I became with the real Saint Nicholas’s importance to cultures across the globe. I soon learned there had been a battle of sorts over claiming the saint’s relics dating back well over a thousand years, which moved my focus to the study of the significant place relics hold in the Catholic Church. 

 

As the thriller story came together in my mind, I realized that I wanted to weave in storylines that dealt with the intersection of faith, science, and ultimately redemption. I had no true archetypes for Shepherd and Popov, but they came together as the vehicles to tell my story  

 

Q: The writer Yvette Manessis Corporon said of the book, “The Malachi Covenant has it all, a fascinating plot, historical depth, and pacing that kept me up at night to see what would happen next and how it would all end.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: First of all, I’m grateful Ms. Corporon was generous enough to offer an endorsement of my book. The fact her description captures the sense I want readers to feel as they dig into The Malachi Covenant makes it even better.

 

Q: Without giving anything away, did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I never doubted where the book would end. I always start with a beginning, middle and end in mind. That said, I worked with several editors along the way who were instrumental in helping me create what I believe is a fulfilling conclusion to the main characters’ journeys.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story?

 

A: The most important thing I want the reader to do is enjoy the story. I hope The Malachi Covenant will keep nightlights flickering until late in the evening on many bedside tables. 

 

That said, I do hope some of the complexities and flaws in the main characters will give readers the sense that personal redemption is possible at any point in life. 

 

And last but not least, if the book spurs some further study into a few of the historical issues raised in the book, that would be a wonderful outcome.    

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I decided when I finished The Malachi Covenant that Maggie Shepherd had more life in her. I’m currently working on a new book featuring my favorite biblical archeologist. The working title is The Petrine Symbol

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Two things. 

 

One, I hope all of my readers will connect with me on deekellyjr.com. I plan to add new content and writing news on the site as often as possible. 

 

Second, I want to acknowledge a great group of professionals (led by Nena Oshman) who have helped me on this journey. Writing a novel is a singular experience; but editing/publishing/selling takes a great team. And I am fortunate to have one.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment