Friday, March 22, 2024

Q&A with Yecenia Currie

 


 

 

Yecenia Currie is the author of the new cookbook Sweet & Savory Life: Simple Flavor-Filled Plant-Based Recipes to Nourish Mind, Body, & Spirit. She lives in Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write this cookbook?

 

A: I wanted to create a cookbook that focused on nourishing the whole self—body, mind, and spirit—with delicious plant-based recipes full of both nutrition and flavor.

 

My aim when writing Sweet & Savory Life was to share a simple, accessible, and yummy compilation of recipes that inspire creativity in the kitchen!

 

And it’s more than just a traditional book of recipes… It was important to not only highlight what to eat, but also how to eat and prepare food in a more conscious and thoughtful way. So throughout the book, I share personal stories, practical tips, and holistic food for thought readers can enjoy along the way.

 

I’d say the common thread and “heart message” throughout the book is: To enjoy the flavor and beauty of eating good food that nourishes from the inside out.

 

My intention is to plant seeds of vitality and health-conscious cooking with each shared story and recipe. And I hope people feel that as they read through the book and prepare these dishes for themselves and their loved ones.

 

Q: How did you choose the recipes to include, and do you have any particular favorites?

 

A: I chose the recipes for the book based on what I was making in my own kitchen. Recipes that I feel embody everything I believe a good meal should be:

• Healthy

• Nourishing

• Unfussy

• Satiating

• Colorful

• Flavorful

• Visually Appealing

• Real. Whole. Food

• And, in some cases, make you do a little dance!

 

They’re all personal favorites that, for the most part, stay in pretty frequent rotation in my kitchen. But if I had to pick, right now my top Savory picks would be the Creamy Kelp Noodle Pasta, Chickpea Cauliflower Medley, and the Roasted Brussels. And my top Sweet picks would be the Sweet-Berry Breakfast Bake, Cherry Berry Bliss Smoothie, and the Chai Vanilla-Rose Bliss Bites!

 

The books recipes are split into two parts: “The Sweet” and “The Savory” to highlight the best (and balance) of both worlds!


Q: Did you need to do any research to write the book, and if so, did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

 

A: It didn’t really require any research to write this book as it’s more about my personal journey and perspective. But I did incorporate a lot of the conscious cooking and eating principles I learned from an Ayurvedic nutrition and culinary training that I completed several years ago.

 

I did also come away with an immense appreciation for the recipe writing process. Separate from the ingredient measurements breakdown, it was important to ensure the recipe steps/instructions were clear & concise so readers can seamlessly assemble each dish.

 

Q: You've followed a plant-based diet for more than 13 years--why did you initially choose to follow that diet?

 

A: I decided to go plant-based vegan to improve my overall health and as an effort to prevent many of the generational ailments and preventable diseases that were continuing to show up in my family.

 

And personally, at the time, I was tired of having repetitive bouts of digestive upset and just not feeling good in my body.

 

I knew I needed to do something different, and I knew that changing my diet was at the center of it all.

 

Although my decision to switch to a plant-based diet was based on my desire to improve my health and overall well-being, ultimately, I wanted to be an example to my kids. I wanted healthy eating and living to be one of the legacies I left to my children.

 

I could talk about and try to teach them the benefits of prioritizing their health, but I knew I had to also be the example. Our children had to see their parents living and embodying this thing in order for it to really stick.

 

And the legacy aspect of it is a reminder that it’s bigger than us. It shows that it shouldn’t stop with them. Each generation will (hopefully) pass the baton on to the next, so the seeds of healthy living we’re planting today will outlive us all!

 

Switching to a plant-based diet was the spark that ignited change and massive growth in every other area of my life. And it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made yet!

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I'm launching my inaugural “Sacred Lotus Wellness Retreat” in Jamaica for the Spring of 2025. It ties in many of the concepts I talk about in the book to further amplify and encourage nourishment for the whole (mind-body-spirit) self.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: You can visit www.yeceniacurrie.com for more book details, to sign up for my newsletter and receive updates on upcoming events, and to purchase Sweet & Savory Life from your favorite online bookstore retailer!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment