Monday, March 25, 2024

Q&A with Melodie Edwards

 


 

 

Melodie Edwards is the author of the new novel Once Persuaded, Twice Shy, an update of Jane Austen's classic Persuasion. Edwards also has written the novel Jane & Edward.

 

Q: What inspired you to write a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion?

 

A: The debates! Back in my literature classes at university, or when chatting with my fellow Austenites, I find that many people see the eight years of estrangement as a waste of time, of youth, and an unnecessary frustration of love.

 

But I think the eight years gave each lover the needed time to grow up enough to get past their insecurities and find the deep attachment of mature lasting love. Romeo and Juliet weren’t really tested by time, so I find Persuasion to be a supremely romantic story.

 

Q: The Library Journal review of the book says, in part, “Edwards is clever in the way she uses the main plot and themes of Persuasion to create her story without feeling like she must translate it directly to modern times...” What do you think of that description, and what did you see as the right balance between Austen's original characters and your own?

 

A: Well first, I’m very grateful that the Librarians and their Journal have noticed my work and that they’ve spotlighted some of my retelling technique.

 

Many retellings have their own particular style or method for injecting Austen’s 1800s plotlines into our modern setting, (all of which are enjoyable!) but my approach is to really focus on harvesting Austen’s themes and conflicts to inject into our modern times.

 

In that way I hope to show the timeless qualities of the characters and Austen’s lessons for us, while retaining the dignity and intention of her original works.


Q: The novel is set in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Why did you choose that location, and how important is setting to you in your writing?

 

A: In both cases (retellings of Jane Eyre and of Persuasion) the inspiration, the impetus, has been my encounters with modern settings in which I could see the characters living today.

 

The intimidating corporate skyscrapers seemed very gothic, like Thornfield.

 

And Niagara-on-the-Lake’s old town architecture, evocative of Austen’s era, encouraged me to see the characters moving in this magical space.

 

Of course I was helped by the frequent annual schedule of costumed historical reenactments at Fort George, the horse drawn wagon ride tours of the town, and the magnificent real homes of Trisha Romance paintings.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A: I do hope I’ve entertained readers, and that they enjoy the humour in my book. I find the original Austen texts scathingly funny – she has a wit with real bite!

 

And I have tried to capture some of that folly that she plays off of, in my version of the characters and their relationships, and particularly in the obstacles in Anne's second-chance romance. I don’t think people in such emotional chaos are at all different, be it 1800 or 2024.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I have several projects underway and planned, and I am exploring different genres. The next book is scheduled to be an entirely original story, but I also have another Austen retelling outlined, and I’ve been gathering research for a thriller farther off in the distance.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Just that I’m having incredible fun writing and interacting with readers. I really enjoy reading their generous and detailed responses online.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment