Sunday, March 17, 2024

Q&A with Liz Long

 


 

 

Liz Long is the author of the new book Navigating Shitstorms: How to Find Your True Path When Life Gets Tough

 

Q: What inspired you to write Navigating Shitstorms?

 

A: Writing a book was never on my radar. When I returned home after my time at an in-patient treatment center, where I’d checked myself in for depression, I spent several months integrating myself back into the world and began to consider carefully what I wanted to do with my life.

 

It was a long and complicated expedition for me to find my voice, and at the same time, I felt a big pull to share my story. Navigating Shitstorms was born from my desire to help other humans find the peace, love, freedom, and joy that we all yearn for.

 

I also wanted to honor the role that my aunt, Lynda White, played in my life.

 

Q: How would you describe the concept of Victimtown, which you write about in the book?

 

A: Victimtown’s unique landscape was created to illustrate our inner dialogue and prompt a new awareness for floundering people. Every human shows up in Victimtown at one time or another.

 

Victimtown is where we go when we’re not quite ready to face the pain. It’s an equal-opportunity place for all humans. This includes perpetrators too, because the people who’ve caused us pain are in at least as much pain themselves.

 

Each of the places in Victimtown has a voice that we hear in our head. Their mission is to control us and keep us afraid.

 

For example, The Boss at the Control Factory says, “When you get them to change, then you’ll be happy,” and, “You can save them from making a big mistake.”


The Maître D would show me to the private back room of the Guilt & Shame Café. He’d say, “You are completely inadequate,” as he set a bottle of wine on the table for me. I deserved to be there.

 

Other places include the Denial Trails, the Ego Arena, the Anger Gas Station, the Resentment Parking Lot, the Sorrow Swampland and Epiphany Hospital.

 

Q: How was the book's title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: The title was conceived during a brain-storming session over coffee with my friend, Tina Petrelli.

 

I’ve had incredibly positive feedback as people really seem to resonate with it. I see it in their eyes first and then they smile and then they laugh.

 

For me, it signifies real life and real people. ‘Cause the thing is, we can never stop shit from happening, so we’d all be well served to figure out healthy ways to navigate the shitstorms.

 

Q: What impact did it have on you to write the book, and what do you hope readers take away from it?

 

A: We all have a voice in our head that talks back to the shitty voice. I refer to it as our heart voice. We were all born with one. My hope is that the book will guide readers to tap into their own heart voice and to guide them on their journey to love themselves without limits or conditions.

 

I also hope readers will recognize that the path to Freedomville is found through living with Intrinsic Courage. Intrinsic courage is our ability to view every past experience, every current situation, and every person involved, with compassion and love.

 

The public response from the book continues to be enormously heartwarming and reassuring. Hearing the personal impact stories of how Navigating Shitstorms has helped people fills me up and strengthens my own heart voice every single day.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: A companion Guidebook will launch soon to support my readers as they reflect about their own lives, utilize the concepts in Navigating Shitstorms, and find their own paths to Freedomville.

 

I’ve also recently launched a YouTube Channel and I’m recording more fun and unscripted episodes.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Readers can connect with me at www.LizLongWrites.com. Follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment