Thursday, March 21, 2024

Q&A with Nick Maland

 


 

 

Nick Maland is the author and illustrator of the new children's picture book We Light Up the Sky with Music!. The illustrator of many children's picture books, he lives in London.

 

Q: What inspired you to create We Light Up the Sky with Music!?

 

A: I wrote and illustrated We Light Up the Sky with Music as a celebration of the power of music to lift our spirits and transform our lives. Throughout my life, music has connected me with ideas, with stories, with adventures and, most importantly, with friends.

 

Growing up I was in a band, and played lots of music. But, over the years, I just stopped playing. I sold my saxophone when I needed some cash as a young person. And although I still went to concerts and enjoyed listening, I stopped playing.

 

During Covid, I bought an old saxophone and starting practicing. Just like Old Bear in the story, I wasn’t able to play music. But instead, I created very odd noises, much to the horror of my family and neighbours! But gradually, through regular practice, I began to improve. And it brought back the joy of playing music and creating notes, not noises.

 

Playing and listening to live music should be available for everyone. It is always an uplifting and joyful experience. I have dedicated the book to musicians and music teachers. I believe every child should be able to enjoy making music, and this needs dedicated teachers and access to instruments.

 

Q: Did you work on the text first or the illustrations first, or both simultaneously?

 

A: Now at the age of 65 after illustrating many children’s books over the decades this is the first book that I have written.

 

For most of my career, I have worked with writers and I have admired their diligence through editing and refining the text. This is usually undertaken in stages, with the text and illustration being sent between writer and illustrator.

 

This is always such good fun – I receive the text, and do a quick rough, which is shared with the writer. This might prompt them to adapt the text or the story, or vice versa.

 

In this case, where I am both writer and illustrator, I did start with an idea about the power of music. And then I decided to place my story within a city landscape, with the characters of Little and Old Bear emerging as I worked on both text and sketches simultaneously.

 

It is always important to gain an external perspective. This might be working with your agent - in my case, Alan Lynch – and, of course, with the editor. Jonah Heller of Peachtree was very constructive and I acted upon his suggestions for the final text before finishing all the illustrations.


Q: How would you describe the relationship between Old Bear and Little Bear?

 

A: Little Bear brings wisdom and insight, encouraging Old Bear to look at life afresh: the profound gift of a child. Little Bear shows us how we can help others, with small steps and with kindness.

 

Often in big cities, we can feel lost and I wanted to show how music and kindness can connect us all. It is the positive energy of Little Bear that starts the process of lifting Old Bear’s spirits. Her wisdom, insight and encouragement helps Old Bear to look at life afresh and also to become part of his community again.

 

She shows us how children can help grownups. As parents we are always there for our children, giving them support and encouragement, and sometimes do not realise how much support and encouragement our children are giving to us!! Often they have a whole lot more positive energy than we do!!

 

Once Old Bear’s life has been transformed, he then gives Little Bear her own instrument so she can also play music.

 

Q: What do you think the story says about the importance of music?

 

A: That it can lift spirits and transform lives. Not only for those who play musical instruments either on their own or together as a community activity but also for everyone who listens to music.

 

It has a way of bringing people together whether you are part of an audience listening to the music or part of a group that is creating the music. It is an act of sharing which unites everyone.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on another picture book called The Little Red Steamer which is about the positive impact of people travelling around the world. Again, I want to create a story which talks to the kindness of people and the warmth of welcomes.

 

Often, we focus on the negatives, but people are mostly kind and generous, and I am keen to create work which celebrates goodness and encourages children to enjoy new people and new experiences.

 

It is also allowing me to do lots of illustrations of old steamer ships and seascapes which is fun!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I actually began illustrating quite a few years after leaving University. I started out trying to be an actor, but whilst I was trying (and failing) to get paid work, I started drawing. And found that I enjoyed this much more than auditioning.

 

Once I started showing my portfolio my illustration career took off! I learnt all types of illustration from regular political and satirical drawings for The Times, The Guardian, and other newspapers and magazines to commercial design and advertising work. It was a steep but very enjoyable learning curve.

 

When our first child, Eloise, was born I changed to illustrating children’s books and love this world. As I said earlier, this is my first book as author and illustrator. I hope you enjoy it.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment