Rebecca Gould Baeurle is the author of the novel Six Weeks of Love & Larceny, the first in her Secrets Trilogy. She lives in the Philadelphia area.
Q: What inspired you to write Six Weeks of Love & Larceny?
A: I semi-retired recently and found myself with some extra time – a luxury I hadn’t previously enjoyed. So, after getting caught up on all the things that go by the wayside when you’re working full-time and raising a family, I decided to take on a pet project.
My career in the nonprofit sector required a lot of writing, and I was raised in a family of storytellers so I was curious to see what marrying a skill developed over the years with a style of communication I enjoy might look like, and turns out it looks just like Six Weeks of Love & Larceny.
Q: How did you create your characters Nikki and Lauren?
A: Nikki and Lauren are not based on specific people in my life but rather on a combination of many people I’ve known over the years. They’re sisters so I wanted them to be similar (having had many shared life experiences) but also uniquely different in ways that make them relatable.
Both sisters are forced to grow up at an early age but each handle it differently. Lauren, the older of the two, is fiercely in control, responsible and determined where Nikki is also strong, but more of a free spirit.
Q: Did you know how the novel would end
before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?
A: I had no idea where the story was going when I started writing it. I later
discovered this style of writing is referred to as being a “pantser” or flying
by the seat of your pants – no outline, no structure, no planned story arcs –
just straight up winging it.
The story kept developing as I asked myself questions like, “What would this character get themselves into? How would that character react?”
Q: The novel is set in Philadelphia--how important is setting to you in your writing?
A: Choosing Philly as the setting was only because I live in the area and am familiar with it. That said, anyone who knows Philly knows it has a personality of its own that cannot be ignored and will not be denied – that part was easy.
Q: How was the book’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?
A: The book was originally titled Six Weeks with Sisters, but my editor thought that might be limiting – trend too female, not a good hook (lots of people don’t have sisters or may have bad relationships with them), not enticing enough, etc. So he suggested Six Weeks of Love & Larceny.
I loved it and it set the stage for the next two books in The Secrets Trilogy: Twelve Weeks of Love & Loss and Sixteen Weeks of Love & Lies.
Q: What are you working on now?
A: Ooooo, you’re going to want to find out! Twelve Weeks of Love & Loss takes an unexpected turn down a dark and twisted road paved by deep emotions that turn into something sinister. If you enjoyed Six Weeks, you’ll love the next Twelve!
Q: What are you working on now?
A: I just started a new novel that is completely different from The Secrets Trilogy. I’ve put Lauren and Nikki’s stories to bed and hope readers are satisfied with where they ended up.
I’m only 60 pages into the new novel which in typical “pantser” fashion doesn’t have a title yet since I don’t know where it is going. But it’s a crime thriller with new and interesting characters who I can’t wait to introduce to the world!
Q: Anything else we should know?
A: Just that I'd love to hear from readers! Nothing makes the late-blooming author experience more worthwhile than someone telling me Nikki and Lauren felt real to them.
You can find me and the rest of The Secrets Trilogy at rebeccagouldbaeurle.com, and Twelve Weeks of Love & Loss lands July 28. Fair warning: it's a darker ride than Six Weeks, so buckle up.
--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:
Post a Comment