Sunday, July 26, 2026

Q&A with Alyssa Day

  


 

 

Alyssa Day is the author of the new novel Nobody's Quest. Her many other books include the Warriors of Poseidon series. She also writes under the name Alesia Holliday. 

 

Q: What inspired you to write Nobody’s Quest, and how did you create your character Soli?

 

A: I've always love, love, loved epic fantasy! Especially quest stories. And I've lived with chronic clinical depression since I was 13 years old.

 

I always wanted to find someone like me as the hero of her story: the one who solved the puzzle, succeeded in the quest, and saved the world … despite her mental health issues. No special "Issue of the week" sadness or darkness, just someone trying hard to perform to the best of her abilities and triumphing.

 

Soli came to me in vivid 3-D. She was sitting on the floor of the royal library, cleaning mold off bookshelves, when the king's guards came for her. Her world branded her (literally) as a Gray Mind, stigmatized by society, for her depression, but she found quiet, small ways to rebel.

 

I knew I had to write her story.

 

Q: How did you create the world in which the story is set?

 

A: Worldbuilding is one of my favorite things! I started building a map, because I needed to see the terrain to plot my quest across Altarra. Then I designed the ruling systems of the different kingdoms and territories, the laws, the people, the festivals, the games they play …

 

I build so very much that never makes it into the books. But knowing the rich tapestry of the world helps me follow the threads to where they need to go.

 

Q: How was the novel’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: I knew the title was Nobody's Quest from the beginning of writing it. She's a literal nobody in her world--an indentured servant. The prophecy says, about the war between goddesses that's destroying Altarra: Nobody can defeat the goddess of war.

 

When a brilliant sorcerer decided to take that literally, the king's guards came for Soli and the quest was born.

 

Q: The author Jade Presley said of the book, “Alyssa Day does a wonderful job weaving depression representation into the fantasy world, offering a unique perspective in the romantasy genre.” What do you think of that description, and can you say more about why you chose to include mental health issues in the novel?

 

A: Jade is as kind as she is talented! She and I have been touring across the country, since our books came out close together.

 

I love that she said that. I'm not unique; other authors are portraying mental health issues in their books. Particularly indie authors. But traditional publishing has been reluctant to feature a heroine with depression.

 

I will always be grateful to Liz Pelletier and Red Tower Publishing for saying yes to my band of found family and their dangerous quest.

 

But I also want to emphasize that this is, at its heart, a romantasy novel. Thrilling adventures, dangerous monsters, deadly swordfights, and spicy romance. Plus, it's a lot of fun! I've gotten lots of reviews mentioning the humor. Soli just happens to have the additional battle within.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I'm finishing Nobody 2, and it is so much fun! Prince Kaelen is OFF THE LEASH after a vicious betrayal separates the companions at the beginning of the book.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Well, I wrote romantasy before they called it that (editors called it “too much romance in your fantasy” or “too much fantasy in your romance” lol, and I've recently re-released the Warriors of Poseidon series in eBook, print, and audiobook.

 

The completed series follows a group of very hot and alpha warriors from Atlantis who swore to protect humanity and never, ever fall in love with a human. You can imagine how that goes!


Thanks so much for inviting me! I always love to talk about Soli, mental health, gorgeous princes, and Nobody's Quest!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb 

No comments:

Post a Comment