Sunday, September 29, 2024

Q&A with Aimie K. Runyan

 


 

 

Aimie K. Runyan is the author of the new novel Mademoiselle Eiffel. Her other novels include A Bakery in Paris. She lives in the Rocky Mountains.

 

Q: Why did you decide to write about Claire Eiffel--the daughter of Gustave Eiffel, the engineer behind the Eiffel Tower--in your new novel?

 

A: I wanted to follow up A Bakery in Paris, which showed Paris in moments of great upheaval (notably the Siege of Paris and the Paris Commune of 1870/71) with a novel that showed Paris at its zenith.

 

The Belle Epoque, which lasted from the late 1870s through the early years of the 20th century, was the golden age of Parisian cultural influence. And the Eiffel Tower was the icon of this moment in history. To find a hidden figure like Claire Eiffel that I could bring to the world was just irresistible.

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between Claire and her father?

 

A: I think their relationship evolves more than any other in the book. It changes from a typical father-daughter dynamic, to a mentor-protégée, to Claire assuming the role of “situation handler” in some respects.

 

I think Gustave adored Claire from the beginning, but that adoration matures into mutual respect and admiration for each other’s capabilities.


Q: The Booklist review of the novel called it an “engaging story about the inner strength of the ‘woman behind the man,’ who might have made a name for herself if only given the opportunity.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: It’s a lovely one, and many thanks to the good people of Booklist for that review.

 

I think Claire was severely limited by the social constraints of her era, and had she been given more formal education and access to opportunity, she would have been a success at any field she applied herself to.

 

I think she had a great deal of regret when it came to the sacrifices she made, but she was ultimately glad to be part of her father’s grand ambition.

 

Q: How did you research the novel, and what did you learn that especially surprised you?

 

A: I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the Eiffel family archives housed at the Musée d’Orsay in Paris. It was an *amazing* experience, and I will never forget the rush of being able to touch her correspondence, family ledgers, photographs, and other keepsakes with my own two hands.

 

The most interesting fact I came across was that Claire and her husband Adolphe Salles paid rent to live with Gustave in his elaborate mansion on the rue Rabelais and they had a specific set of rooms that were designated as their private residence. I suspect that keeping everything above board spared many family arguments.

 

Claire eventually inherited the house after her father’s death and she would live there until she passed in 1933.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am waiting on galley proofs for my spring release, The Wandering Season, coming April 1. This is my second contemporary novel and tells the story of a young woman, fresh off a bad breakup, who gets a DNA test for Christmas that leads to some significant family drama and a trip to Europe that holds the secrets of her past. Very fun to write and I hope people will enjoy it!

 

I have some other proposals in the works and hope they’ll pan into contracts soon!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I’m grateful to all the readers who have shown their support for Mademoiselle Eiffel leading up to launch and in the week since its release! I hope you all enjoy Claire’s story and I’d love to hear from you!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Aimie K. Runyan.

No comments:

Post a Comment