Thursday, September 26, 2024

Q&A with Scott Ryan

 

Photo by Faye Murman

 

 

Scott Ryan is the author of the new book The Last Decade of Cinema. His other books include Fire Walk With Me.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Last Decade of Cinema, and how was the book’s title chosen?

 

A: I was looking to find a movie to stream and I noticed that there was nothing new that I was interested in. Every movie I picked to watch seemed to come from the ‘90s. So that sort of made me wonder why and I just started doing research on film and how it changed.

 

Most of my other books are nostalgic looks at TV shows from the past. I noticed that when I was interviewed, people wanted there to be some juicy argumentative things about the shows. So I decided to pick a title that created an argument. I was hoping it would spark sales. This isn’t the first time that I’ve been wrong.

 

Q: How did you choose the films that you focused on in the book?

 

A: It was really difficult. These are not my favorite films, these are films that have something to say and are different from the other movies that I picked.

 

I wanted to show that we used to have variety at the box office. Now all the movies are made from the same cookie cutter. But no one could think Terminator 2 and Pretty Woman are the same, but they both were widely successful and everyone watched them.

 

So basically, the films had to be good, had to have something to say, and had to be different from everything else that was going on at the time.


Q: Of the various films you discuss, do you have a particular favorite (or two)?

 

A: I love The Prince of Tides, Reality Bites, and Pulp Fiction. Those are probably the movies that are covered in the book that I have seen the most times. They really help to shape what I want from a movie since I saw them in my early 20s.

 

But I also think The Ice Storm, Two Girls and a Guy, and Pleasantville are forgotten films that truly say a lot and take audiences on a good journey.

 

Q: How would you compare the films of the ‘90s with those of today?

 

A: Well, for that answer, I wrote about 300 pages explaining that. I don’t think films of today can hold a candle to movies from the ‘90s.

 

The films back then were taking chances, they weren’t worried about if audiences were going to get upset by the plots and made up characters, they respected their viewers and created complex plots and used subtext in dialogue.

 

I struggle watching even critically acclaimed films today because there will always be a character today who just re-explains the plot because the studio is sure that viewers are on their phones and not paying attention, and they are usually correct.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am writing a book about the music from the TV show Twin Peaks. I have been interviewing the music editors of the shows, the band members and directors. It is fascinating because there are 290 music cues in the entire series and I am covering them all. So it’s a lot to write about.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: One of the things about The Last Decade of Cinema is that it isn’t just me blabbing on. I interviewed actors, directors and writers from some of the movies I covered and I got their take on how things have changed and why these films still matter to Gen X.

 

I interviewed Patricia Arquette about True Romance and that was just incredible for me. I love her so much and that is one of my favorite movies.

 

Thanks so much for your interest. People can buy the book here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1949024768

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment