Sunday, September 22, 2024

Q&A with Aminata Jalloh

 



 

 

Aminata Jalloh is the author of the children's picture book The Taste of Home, a winner of the 2024 Children's Africana Book Awards. She also has written the picture book The Biggest Little Brother.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Taste of Home, and how did you create your character Mariama? 

 

A: My first book, The Biggest Little Brother, told the story of a Sierra Leonean family living in the United States. I always wanted to write a story set in Sierra Leone and I was particularly inspired by the beauty of Sierra Leonean rural life.

 

Instead of focusing on what rural areas lack—something often highlighted in stories set in African towns—I wanted to showcase everything they have to offer.

 

The character of Mariama came from my love of powerful and complex protagonist. She knows what she like and is invested in those things. But in the story we see her growth and that was important to me as well.

 

Q: What do you think Pervin Ozcan’s illustrations add to the book? 

 

A: Pervin did an outstanding job with the illustrations. We worked closely together for months to perfect them.

 

It was essential to me to capture the true essence of Sierra Leone, so I shared family photos, videos, and even fabric patterns unique to Fula culture. These details added depth and authenticity to the book, making it a vibrant mosaic that reflects the culture and beauty of Sierra Leone.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book called it a “unique, well-conceived take on using food to discover the essence of home.” What do you think of that description? 

 

A: I think it's spot on. Food is often at the heart of home life and culture. It tells the story of a family's traditions and culture. In The Taste of Home, food becomes a symbol of connection, identity, and belonging. It is a story how through food we can be reminded of home and discover a new home.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story? 

 

A: I hope kids come away with an appreciation for the richness of different cultures, particularly the warmth and community that can be found in places that might seem different from their own.

 

I want them to see that home is not just a place but a feeling. I also hope they recognize the beauty in both rural and urban life, understanding that each has its own unique value.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: Currently, I’m working on a new children’s book series that highlights important historical towns and cultural artifacts. This series will take young readers on a journey through time, exploring the rich history and heritage of various regions around the world.

 

I’m particularly excited about showcasing lesser-known historical sites and cultural treasures with the goal to inspire curiosity and a deeper understanding of the diverse cultures that make up our world.

 

Q: Anything else we should know? 

 

A: Yes, I’m also planning to launch a series of workshops for young writers, particularly those interested in telling stories about their cultural heritage. I believe it’s important for children to see themselves in the stories they read, and I want to encourage the next generation of storytellers to share their unique perspectives.

 

Additionally, I’m working on a project that will bring The Taste of Home to schools, with accompanying lesson plans that help teachers integrate cultural learning into their classrooms.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment