Friday, May 3, 2024

Q&A with Paul Aziz Zarou

 


 

 

Paul Aziz Zarou is the author of the new novel Arab Boy Delivered. Also a writer of screenplays, he lives in Los Angeles.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Arab Boy Delivered, and how did you create your character Michael Haddad?

 

A: I had been writing screenplays for a while. This is my first novel.

 

Drawing from my own experience, the idea of telling the story of a son of Palestinian immigrants who is coming to terms with his heritage as he struggles to move into adulthood appealed to me. I remember the bumpiness of my adolescence and the challenges many of us face as we maneuver our way to adulthood. I had not written anything so personal before.

 

But I also wanted to tell the story from the perspective of the characters that shape him. How the characters in the neighborhood his family moved to influenced and challenged him. How he was either hated or loved by them.

 

The other story element that intrigued me was the historical backdrop of the ‘60s. I love that period of our history, rich with intended change, the Vietnam War, and the civil and women's rights movements. The protest in the streets and violent outcomes as young people challenged authority.

 

I wanted to tell a story about a young man coming of age as our country was trying to. The question is how much has changed since then.

 

Q: How was the novel’s title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: Yesterday’s Neighborhood was the original title. My publisher asked if I would change it to reflect more of the Arab American theme.

 

I gave much thought to a title that would reflect Michael's experience. And as anyone who needs to come up with a title, I banged my head against the wall for a while.

 

Arab Boy Delivered did it for me. Michael delivers groceries in the neighborhood. But he is also searching for where he belongs, not just in the neighborhood but in the world. Where he should deliver himself.


Q: The author Stephen Fife called the novel a “sensitively-written and heartfelt book about the complexities of Arab-American identity and the issues facing all immigrants...” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I appreciate and am grateful for Stephen's generous comments about my work. I wanted to tell a story about a young man, a child of Palestinian American immigrants, facing the challenges of racism along with the feelings he had struggling with reconciling his identity. As Stephen said, I imagine all new immigrants experience some of these issues.

 

Palestinian and Arab Americans experience racism. Unfortunately, many in our country know little of the history or culture of Palestine and Palestinian Americans. Arabs and Palestinians are often portrayed negatively in the media, films, TV, and popular culture.

 

Hopefully, this is changing as more people learn about our history and take a closer look at the facts on the ground and the occupation Palestinians are under.

 

As we see at universities and the protests taking place, this discussion is also bringing on a real challenge to free speech in our country; when speaking up, being pro-Palestine and pro-Ceasefire is being shut down– and can get you fired, doxed, and targeted for a smear campaign. It feels like another ‘60s moment.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A: Like with any good story–they enjoy the read. The reader will get a glimpse into the world of a Palestinian immigrant family pursuing the American Dream.

 

Maybe the reader might reflect on their adolescent journey, filled with the conflict and uncertainty Michael experienced with his first love and loss. Learn how the women and friends he made in the neighborhood influenced Michael. See a little of what our country was like for young people during a period in our history when they were trying to challenge authority and make changes.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am early into my next novel and usually don't like discussing it because it's still a work in progress. It is a contemporary story with corporate America as the backdrop. Successful business professionals are on the rise in their careers when they experience a much too common American tragedy. How they, their friends, and family manage their lives past this painful event.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: April is Arab American Heritage Month.

 

One thing I learned in researching the period my novel is set in and how it parallels what we see happening now is the importance of challenging authority. I am concerned that truth is being drowned out by corporate media with an agenda, and this is eroding our democracy. I am exceptionally proud to see our younger generation taking heed of this and speaking up.

 

Thank you for the interview and the opportunity to speak to your audience.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

1 comment:

  1. Awesome interview Paul you did a good job

    ReplyDelete