Saturday, May 18, 2024

Q&A with Jonathan Fenske

 

Photo by Bonfire Visuals

 

 

Jonathan Fenske is the author and illustrator of the new children's picture book A Unicorn, a Dinosaur, and a Shark Were Riding a Bicycle. His other books include A Unicorn, A Dinosaur, and a Shark Walk Into a Book. He lives in South Carolina.

 

Q: What inspired you to create A Unicorn, A Dinosaur, and a Shark Were Riding a Bicycle, and did you know when you created the first book about these characters that you'd be doing a second one?

 

A: I wrote the first book after going to a bookstore and noticing an abundance of children's books had a unicorn, a dinosaur, or a shark as the main character. I thought it might be fun to write a book that contained all three. One-stop shopping, I guess!

 

I did not know I would be doing a second one when I created the first. But I enjoyed the first so much I thought it would be fun to give a second one a try. The bicycle part came about by trying to imagine an activity common to children that would be ridiculous to consider a unicorn, a dinosaur, or a shark doing!

 

Q: Did you focus more on the text or the illustrations first--or both simultaneously?

 

A: Typically text comes first for me. It's easier for me to conceptualize the illustrations once I feel I have the text dialed in. On occasion, especially when I create a manuscript for an early reader, the text and illustrations come at the same time, so I create little thumbnail doodles as I write. The first draft ends up being a sketch dummy, basically.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book said, “Fans of the trio’s earlier power struggle will find this one equally entertaining.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I love the description of it as a "power struggle!" When I made the first book, I wanted it to be a book where the characters were able to control their narrative instead of having it enacted upon them. So "power struggle" is a great description. (Plus, it is always fun to get a nice review from Kirkus, because they don't pull any punches!)

 

Q: What first got you interested in creating books for kids?

 

A: I was a gallery artist (a painter) for the early part of my career, but when I started reading to my oldest daughter I loved it so much I wanted to turn my attention to creating my own books to bring parents and children together. I've always been a writer, so it was a natural progression. After many, many rejections, I sold a manuscript. And here we are, 12 years later! 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I have several books either publishing later this year or in the pipeline for the next two years. I constantly churn out manuscripts, so I'm always grateful when a concept resonates with an editor. But I also have a lot of projects that don't make the cut!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I know I am very fortunate to be able to create children's books. I love my job, and I am grateful to the teachers, librarians, bloggers, fellow writers, and especially the readers for all the passion they bring to the genre. A kind word from them is my biggest motivation.

 

Oh, and I love to hike to recharge the creativity. During a hike is probably the most common time an idea comes to me. That, and the middle of the night, when I have to roll out of bed with a groan and write it down before I forget it!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment