Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Q&A with Randi Sonenshine

 


 

 

Randi Sonenshine is the author of the new children's picture book The Den That Octopus Built. Her other books include The Lodge That Beaver Built and The Nest That Wren Built. She lives in Georgia.

 

Q: What inspired you to focus on the octopus in your latest book?

 

A: My agent, Kendra Marcus of BookStop Literary, called me one night and told me I had to watch My Octopus Teacher because it was going to be my next book. She was right, of course!

 

Octopuses are such fascinating creatures, and though we have learned a lot about them, there is still so much we don’t know. They have an uncanny intelligence and an almost universal appeal. Their dens, though not elaborate structures like the wren’s nest or beaver’s lodge, are unique and central to the life cycle of an octopus.

 

Q: What do you see as the relationships among the three books in the series?

 

A: On the surface, all three books have the same structure, lyrical voice, and backmatter elements. However, what truly links all three is that the animals’ homes - the nest, the lodge, and the den, are at the center. The homes not only anchor the narratives, but they also propel them.

 

Though they are similar in these ways, they each have a slightly different story arc and overall feel.

 

Q: How did you research the book, and what did you learn that especially surprised you?

 

A: Researching this book was so much fun! I read…a lot! Websites (National Geographic, NOAA, and The Cephalod Page were great for general information), blogs, research papers, database entries, news articles…you name it!

 

I also read (and adored) Sy Montgomery’s Soul of an Octopus, which I highly recommend, watched YouTube videos, and followed experts on social media.

 

Two of my favorite Instagram accounts were (and still are!) @theoctogirl, which is the account for Chelsea Bennice, a marine ecologist based in Florida, and @octonation, a nonprofit organization.

 

I also interviewed and consulted with experts. Dr. Danny Gleason, Professor of Biology at Georgia Southern University and Director of the Institute for Coastal Plain Science was tremendously helpful and so gracious with his time and expertise.


Without a doubt, though, the most memorable research was getting to interact with and feed Rita, the Georgia Aquarium’s resident Giant Pacific Octopus!

 

There were so many unbelievable things I learned during my research - the three hearts, blue blood, all the incredible adaptations and defenses, but I think what surprised me the most was that their appendages are not called tentacles and their plural is not octopi!

 

They actually have arms, which have suckers on their entire length and can perform more complex actions than tentacles, which only have suckers on the ends.

 

What’s even more surprising is that octopuses’ arms, and even their suckers, can act independently of each other, and not only that…they can smell, feel, AND taste with their suckers. And the plural of octopus? Octopuses!

 

Q: How do you think Anne Hunters artwork complements the text?

 

A: Anne Hunter’s artwork is so magical! In each book, she uses a different palette that reflects the animal’s environment. The nest book has a very muted, earthy feel, while the beaver book has a lovely, watery atmosphere.

 

This book is set in a hard bottom reef, with corals, algae, and a whole host of undersea creatures, so there is a much more vibrant color scheme. What I also love about the art is that it is scientifically accurate, while also very animated and engaging.

 

I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but on one of the final pages, Anne creates tremendous empathy through a very subtle change in color and detail. She also adds another layer of fun with an Easter egg of sorts - a puffer fish on every page.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m about to start drafting another nonfiction picture book that I’ve researched. I’ve been playing around with different ways to approach and structure the text, but I haven’t hit on the one that feels just right yet.

 

I also had a sudden inspiration about how to rework an older manuscript, so I’m excited to dive back into that one.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment