Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Q&A with Annie England Noblin

 


 

 

Annie England Noblin is the author of the new novel Christmas in Blue Dog Valley. Her other books include Maps for the Getaway. She teaches English at Arkansas State University, and she lives in the Missouri Ozarks.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Christmas in Blue Dog Valley, and how did you create your character Goldie McKenzie, a veterinarian?

 

A: I was on a run and thinking about what I wanted to write next. The idea of a vet came to me; I think because at the time I was working pretty closely with my vet to have a litter of kittens spayed. It took me a little bit longer to flesh out the more intricate details, but by the time my run was over, I had the title and main character figured out.

 

Q: Goldie leaves Los Angeles to move to a small town in Wisconsin. Why did you choose those particular settings?

 

A: I wanted opposite worlds. I don’t know how more opposite it gets than California to Wisconsin.


Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I had a general idea, but things always change as I write. The characters get their own ideas about things.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story?

 

A: I always want my readers to know that new beginnings are possible. Starting over is inevitable for so many women, no matter our age, circumstances, or profession. I think being open to new possibilities, however scary, is always a good thing.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m currently working on another Christmas book entitled Christmas at Corgi Cove.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I don’t think so. I just hope everyone who reads my book enjoys it! Merry (early) Christmas!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Annie England Noblin.

No comments:

Post a Comment