Sunday, September 25, 2022

Q&A with C.K. Malone

 


 

 

C.K. Malone is the author of the new children's picture book A Costume for Charly. They are also an educator and literature coach.

 

Q: What inspired you to write A Costume for Charly, and how did you create your character Charly?

 

A: The reason I wrote A Costume for Charly was I wanted to add to the stories for children where having to share an identity isn't the crux of the plot. Instead, I wanted Charly to do something for themselves that brought them joy. Charly is modeled on me and my situation growing up, so I didn't have to think too hard regarding how they acted and thought.

 

Q: What do you think Alejandra Barajas's illustrations add to the story?

 

A: I love how her illustrations begin with moody blues and dark colors while Charly is attempting to solve their problem and end with vivid colors when they do. I also adore the cartoon aspect of Alejandra's work.

 

Q: What initially interested you in creating children's picture books?

 

A: They're short! I like it when items I read are concise, and picture books have only so many words. Plus, I love the illustration aspect.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story?

 

A: I hope kids can see themselves in this story no matter if they identify or not. Kids have creativity and ingenuity and the ability to just wonder which I think we begin to lose as adults.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I just finished the final edits for a picture book waiting to be announced. I have an early reader series in final edits as well as a new picture book we'll be making the rounds with as well.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Continue being champions for change and support ALL marginalized artists. Continue pushing for diversity in the publishing world. 

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment