Saturday, September 10, 2022

Q&A with Felicita Sala

 


 

 

Felicita Sala is the author and illustrator of the new children's picture book What's Cooking in Flowerville?. Her other books include Lunch at 10 Pomegranate Street. She lives in Rome.

 

Q: What inspired you to create What's Cooking in Flowerville?

 

A: I was looking to write a second recipe book that had a similar pattern as the first: exploring people's habitats and learning about new food. It was at the end of a long lockdown in Rome, when spring was blooming and people were coming outside to meet in the sun, that I got the idea to do a seasonal recipe book that ends with a grand picnic.

 

Q: How did you choose the recipes to include?

 

A: I chose the main ingredient first. Every month has a fruit or vegetable which is representative of the season. For each season I wanted to include a balance of sweet and savory. It was the ingredient that led the choice. Many recipes are also staple favorites in my house.


Q: Did you work on the text first, or the illustrations--or both at the same time?

 

A: Both at the same time. I finalized the recipes at the end after testing them a few times. 

 

Q: How did you first get interested in creating picture books?

 

A: When I moved back to Europe and discovered picture book illustration as an art form, and decided I wanted to be a part of that world. I am self-taught.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I'm working on a story I wrote myself, about a series of questions between a girl and her dad. And also a book about rocks!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment