Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Q&A with Faye Kellerman

 

 


 

Faye Kellerman is the author of the new novel The Hunt, the latest in her series featuring her characters Rina Lazarus and Peter Decker; the series began in 1986 with The Ritual Bath. Kellerman lives in Los Angeles and in Jerusalem.

 

Q: The Hunt is described as the final installment in your series featuring Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus. How have the two characters changed over the course of the series, and how would you describe the dynamic between them?

 

A: Good question. First of all, it may NOT be the final installment, but for now I’m taking a long needed break.

 

Peter and Rina have always been in a team in life. Over the years, they have become self-assured independent people. Being self-confident has allowed them to listen to each other without ego involvement that always gets in the way of making the proper decision.

 

They have a truly loving relationship with their families, but as equally as important they’ve developed this wonderful trust relationship with each other. They can go anywhere and be successful as long as they are with each other.


Q: What inspired the plot of The Hunt?

 

A: This is a book that I’ve always wanted to end with. I knew where Peter and Rina would be when I more or less ended the series. It’s what I’ve always had in mind. They need to develop distant horizons and conquer new territory.

 

As far as the secondary plot, which is really a co-plot, I’ve always wanted to develop Chris Donatti and Terry MacLaughlin in their twisted relationship. Sort of a perverted Romeo and Juliet. It also contrasts beautifully with the relationship of Decker and Rina. Functional and enabling versus dysfunctional.

 

Q: What do you see as the importance of Judaism in the series, and in this book in particular?

 

A: Not a lot of Judaism in the final chapter except to say how it interplays nicely with Decker and Rina’s family. My religion has always been of major importance to me and it has woven its way throughout the series in an uncontrived way, I hope.

 

Q: Do you usually know how your novels will end once you start writing them, or do you make many changes along the way?

 

A: Sometimes my novels  are very planned out. Other times they are written as I go. No matter what writing style I choose, there are always changes to be made along with the editing process.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: Being Faye Kellerman.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I love, love, love my fans. Thank you for everything.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will do another decker series in Israel.I read them all and truly enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really hoping, that now that she has made Cindy a homicide cop, that she will continue from there. I want to know what happens with Gabe and Juliene.

    ReplyDelete