Monday, March 11, 2024

Q&A with Varda Livney

 


 

Varda Livney is the author and illustrator of the new children's board book Challah!. Her other books include Rosh Hashanah with Uncle Max. She lives in Israel.

 

Q: What inspired you to create Challah!?

 

A: My inspiration usually comes from trying to entertain myself, and Challah! was no exception. I was having fun doodling challahs, kids with challahs, bunnies with challahs, flying challahs….. That got me thinking about all of the things in the world that look a little like challah. 

 

Q: Did you work on the illustrations first or the text--or both simultaneously?

 

A: The illustrations! When I write, I generally start with doodles (like spaghetti against the wall) until something sticks (or leads to an idea), and then put some pictures together with some words, and eventually it evolves into a storyboard with thumbnail illustrations (or it ends up in the trashcan).

 

Q: How did you develop your artistic style?

 

A: That’s a tough question. I think it just developed itself. 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the story?

 

A: I hope it will make them smile, and start them on the path of having warm and fuzzy feelings about Shabbat, (AND I hope they’ll learn what a challah looks like). 


Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I recently finished another board book which will come out in August. It’s called Jewish Cats All Year Round. I think it’s funny, and hope babies and toddlers (and parents) will think so as well. 


Right now I’m doing illustrations for a baby book for a publisher in the U.S. It’s a book I DIDN’T write. It has a cute text, and I’m excited to be working on it. Also, I'm playing around with ideas for my next Jewish board book. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Yes! I belong to a lovely group of writers of #jewishboardbooks. We are spreading the word of the importance of starting kids early on Jewish books.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment