Thursday, March 21, 2024

Q&A with Crystal Smith Paul

 


 

 

Crystal Smith Paul is the author of the novel Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?. Her work has appeared in a variety of publications, including Salon.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?, and how did you create Kitty Karr and the St. John sisters? 

 

A: Did You Hear About Kitty Karr? was inspired by my interest in my family tree after learning some disturbing family news in my mid-20s.

 

The characters are a blend of family members, particularly my great-grandmother and grandmother on my father's side and my maternal grandmother. The St. John sisters encompass my interest in celebrity and mirror the dynamics of my 12 aunts.

 

Q: How did you research the novel, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you? 

 

A: To research the novel, I reread books like Passing by Nella Larsen and The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson. I also read A Chosen Exile: A History of Racial Passing in American Life by Dr. Allyson Hobbs.

 

In many ways, my life's path has been research. I credit my innate interest in history and family members willing to teach. Nothing surprised me in terms of the research, but I had a great time intersecting the plot with history.

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the novel said, in part, “With a plot worthy of a miniseries, an extensive cast, and a historical sweep, Paul succeeds in entertaining as well as enlightening.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I'm honored to receive such a review from Kirkus. I strived to “paint the scene” without getting too absorbed in the details and the history, a lot of it which I assume my readers already know.

 

My number-one goal in writing this book was for it to be read and so, if it can be entertaining too, then maybe the story will foster conversation.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the story? 

 

A: I hope readers gain a greater sense of empathy from reading Did You Hear About Kitty Karr? and are prompted to action for justice and human rights.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I'm still promoting Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?. The paperback will be out 5/14/24. I also turned in my second book in January and hope it will be out sometime in 2025.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: While I'm anxious to get back to the world of Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?, my second book is unrelated.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment