Saturday, March 23, 2024

Q&A with Ellen Leventhal

 


 

Ellen Leventhal is the author of the children's picture book biography Debbie's Song, which focuses on the life of musician Debbie Friedman. Leventhal's other picture books include A Flood of Kindness. Also an educator, she is based in Houston.

 

Q: What inspired you to write a picture book biography of musician Debbie Friedman (1951-2011)?

 

A: I’ve always loved Debbie Friedman’s music, and it was a big part of my kids’ lives when they were growing up. Teaching for years in a Jewish Day School, her music was part of my life too.

 

But over time, I realized that Debbie’s music was not heard as much anymore, and it made me kind of sad. But still, I didn’t think about doing a book on her until the day I heard one of her songs coming out of a classroom again. It was a like a lightbulb moment. Kids who hear her music need to know about her!

 

Debbie had a connection to Houston, where I live, and to the school where I taught, and I thought about all the people in other places that she touched. I realized that day that I wanted to help keep her legacy alive, so I took the leap.

 

Q: What do you think Natalia Grebtsova’s illustrations add to the book?

 

A: The illustrations add SO much to the book! Like all good illustrators, Natalia took my words and interpreted them in a way I never would have imagined.

 

There aren’t that many scene changes in the book, which of course, makes it difficult for illustrators, but I think that Natalia knocked it out of the park.

 

One of my favorite spreads is where I wrote about Debbie’s feelings going up and down like a roller coaster, and Natalia chose to put Debbie in a literal roller coaster.

 

And the way she wove musical notes and the staff through the book was genius, in my opinion. It definitely elevated the story.

 

Q: How did you research Debbie Friedman’s life, and did you learn anything that especially surprised you?

 

A: My research was a mix of reading articles, watching a documentary, and a doing lot of interviews. When I decided to do this, I immediately went home and checked to see if there were any other children’s books on her. At that point, there were none. (Happily, there are two now.)


When I saw there weren’t any other books, I did some Googling and found a way to contact her sister, Cheryl who was on board and a great help. As I said, Debbie had a lot of Houston connections, so I interviewed several people who knew her here.

 

This isn’t actually a surprise, but sometimes people had different memories of specific events. But as I said in my author’s note, some small facts may be remembered differently, but Debbie’s love of music, Judaism, and helping people shone through every interview.

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book, and how do you see Friedman's legacy today?

 

A: When I visit schools, I talk about how Debbie’s music was her “superpower” that she used to make the world a better place. I help the kids discover that they too have a special spark inside them that can help make the world a better place. I hope that is part of Debbie’s legacy.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on several things now. I seem to have to jump around a bit! I’m continuing to write new picture books and tweak older manuscripts, but I am also working on a lower middle grade novel. Wish me luck on that one!

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I am proud and humbled to say that Debbie’s Song was named as one of the best Jewish Children’s Book of 2023 by Tablet magazine.  

I love doing school visits to share my love of literacy, kindness, and inclusion with kiddos.

 

And most importantly, I am grateful for people like you in the kidlit world.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ellen and Deborah, for this wonderful interview. Ellen, your passion for Debbie Friedman shines through. And I love the idea of kids discovering their special spark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete