Monday, March 11, 2024

Q&A with JoAnna Lapati

 


 

 

JoAnna Lapati is the author and illustrator of the new children's picture book biography Guts for Glory: The Story of Civil War Soldier Rosetta Wakeman. She is based in Warwick, Rhode Island.

 

Q: How did you learn about Rosetta Wakeman (1843-1864), and at what point did you decide to tell her story?

 

A: I immediately chose Rosetta’s story for my senior illustration proposal at UMASS Dartmouth after reading Uncommon Soldier: Sarah Rosetta Wakeman by Lauren Cook Burgess.

 

I realized the research was as time consuming as the scratchboard illustrations themselves, and I had much to learn about the American Civil War first before I could even imagine telling it.

 

Q: Did you focus more on the text first or the illustrations--or both simultaneously?

 

A: I worked on only four illustrations initially at UMASS Dartmouth; two that have been reworked and are in Guts for Glory. It’s interesting to see the progressive work as a published author compared to my student work.

 

After several years of gathering research, I realized I needed to learn about the publishing industry. That’s when I joined the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators organization in 2008.

 

After learning about the art of writing and illustrating children’s books, I began developing a dummy for Guts for Glory based on Rosetta’s timeline and letters.

 

Then, after years of developing artwork, attending conferences, and submitting SCBWI dummy book critiques, a friend suggested I take a children’s book writing class. My focus shifted on developing my writing until I had Eerdmans’ interest.

 

Q: How did you research her life, and what did you learn that especially surprised you?

 

A: After graduating in 2001, I devoted my time to studying Civil War history. I planned trips to upstate New York, Washington, D.C., and Louisiana, all to better understand the landscape and regional history behind Rosetta’s story, along with Civil War reenacting.

 

What surprised me the most is when I discovered a newspaper article, “Women Honored For Civil War Service,” by Eileen Lot in the Savannah Press on Sunday, July 17, 1994.

 

It was about Rosetta’s family secret and how her youngest siblings, especially Catherine (born after Rosetta’s death), discovered Rosetta’s letters in an attic. It was the first time Catherine realized her older brother who served in the Civil War was, in fact, her older sister!

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book says, in part, “The exceptional scratchboard illustrations, with some color digitally added, resemble wood engravings and beautifully capture period details and settings.” What do you think of that description, and how did you create your artistic style?

 

A: I think the Kirkus review is splendid, and with a starred review, nevertheless!

 

A: My artistic style in scratchboard developed over the years. I was initially inspired by children’s book authors and illustrators Michael McCurdy and Virginia Lee Burton, along with years of research and influence, which tends to enhance your technique.

 

Especially from people you meet, like children’s book author and illustrator Jennifer Morris, whose Photoshop Demo at the New Hampshire Institute of Art and the NE SCBWI 2nd Annual Children’s Book Illustration Symposium, helped me better understand how I could apply digital color to my scratchboard scans.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working full-time as an overnight stock associate and part-time bus aide while hoping my book offers better opportunities, kind of like… “she wanted something different she wanted something more.” - Guts for Glory: The Story of Civil War Soldier Rosetta Wakeman

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I like to give credit to my publisher, Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, and literary agent Roseanne Wells for both nurturing Guts for Glory: The Story of Civil War Soldier Rosetta Wakeman, and for their 10+ year commitment! I would also be remiss if I did not mention the contributions of the New England SCBWI.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment