Monday, March 18, 2024

Q&A with Jen Kostman

 


 

Jen Kostman is the author and illustrator of the children's picture book Ella Kvellephant and the Search for Bubbe's Yiddish Treasure. Also a preschool teacher, she is based in New York City.

 

Q: What inspired you to create Ella Kvellephant, and how did you create your character Ella and her grandmother?

 

A: The concept of Ella Kvellephant came from a few unrelated places. First of all, I came up with the name “Kvellephant” while trying to create a nickname for a character in a Pokémon game (I'm a big fan of the franchise and many nods to Pokémon can be found hiding throughout the book).

 

After coming up with the name “Kvellephant,” I decided I had to create a Yiddish-speaking elephant character with the name.

 

From there I played around with different ideas for what a book about this character might look like, but ultimately, I kept thinking of my Grandma Temie, who always comes to mind when I'm thinking about my family traditions and heritage.

 

Eventually I decided that the book would be inspired by my relationship with my grandmother and how it ties into my Jewish identity.

 

Q: Did you work on the text first or the illustrations first--or both simultaneously?

 

A: I'm definitely more of an illustrator than a writer, so the visuals came to life before the text. But I'd say a lot of times the characters I design have a story to go along with them. I love creating stories and characters.

 

It was a fun challenge to write the text for the story, though; I really did enjoy it. I also really appreciated the patience and support I received from my publisher, Lili from Kalaniot Books. 

 

Q: Can you say more about why you decided to focus on Yiddish in the book?

 

A: When I come up with a character, typically their story is sort of just woven into their design and in the case of Ella Kvellephant, the character's name came first (along with a few early character designs) and then the story followed.

 

While I'm not completely denying the fact that this book was created from a play on words, I will say that I had been toying around with concepts for Jewish books for years as I felt passionately about creating a modern character in a Jewish picture book that children could feel connected to.

 

Q: The Foreword review of the book says, “Through the charming lens of purple and pink elephants frolicking on the beach and strolling the boardwalk with other animal families, the book relays a powerful, age-appropriate message about legacy, history, and reclamation.” What do you think of that description, and what do you hope kids take away from the story?

 

A: I'm very flattered by that description of the book! And I think it perfectly encapsulates what I was going for, being that the story isn't “preachy” but rather a whimsical and colorful world that just so happens to be playing out the story of the Kvellephant family.

 

As for the part of the description that mentions age-appropriateness, I really appreciate that in particular. I'm a preschool teacher by day and I believe that young kids can be taught about many grown-up concepts as long as it's done in an age-appropriate manner.

 

For example, right now my preschool class has chicken eggs and I had let my class know that some of the eggs may not hatch as that's just how nature goes sometimes.

 

Whether I'm in the classroom or creating a book, I strive to be respectful of the kids I'm working with/writing for by discussing topics that I feel are important but doing so in an age-appropriate way.

 

As for what I hope kids take away from the story, there are two main things: First off, I want Jewish children who have a Bubbe-type family member of their own to feel a sense of familiarity and appreciate their Jewish identity.

 

In addition, I want non-Jewish children to gain an understanding of some of these classic Yiddish words and get an easily digestible taste of Jewish culture done in a way that anyone from any background can relate to and appreciate. 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: What am I working on now? Oy! I wish it was another book! I'm currently working full time as a teacher and am in graduate school working towards getting my master’s in early childhood education.

 

I'm sort of holding off on big projects until I finish up my program, but if someone offered me an awesome illustration gig, I wouldn't turn it down!

 

I do have an idea for a sort of “sister” book to Ella Kvellephant that I'd love to work on; however, I don't plan on really delving into it until after I'm done with graduate school.

 

I will say though that the theme of the book is a bit more sentimental than Ella Kvellephant, but again, I believe that if handled in an age-appropriate way, many kids would be able to relate to the story and would appreciate it, so I really would love to pursue the project more seriously once I have a bit more time on my hands. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Nothing else I can think of other than I'm really appreciative of the opportunity to have been featured on your blog. Thank you so much for having me, Deborah!  

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment