Friday, March 15, 2024

Q&A wit L.C. Rosen


 

 

L.C. Rosen is the author of the new young adult novel Emmett, a retelling of Jane Austen's classic Emma. Rosen's other books include the YA novel Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts). He lives in New York City.

 

Q: What inspired you to write a modern YA retelling of Jane Austen's Emma?

 

A: It was an idea I had had for a while, partially because I love Emma, but partially also because of Austen's famous quote about Emma - "I'm going to write a character no one will like but me" (that's a paraphrase).

 

I love writing characters that people find "unlikeable" especially young queer men because so many people feel entitled to tell young queer men the right way to be a queer man, and most of those people aren't queer men themselves.

 

So writing about messy gays being messy gays and not caring what others think is always such liberating work. 

 

Q: What did you see as the right balance between the original and your own take on these characters?

 

A: I think modernizing everyone was enough to give me a lot of distance. So what's a modern teen version of that annoying older woman who won't shut up about how great her niece is? Maybe a girl who won't shut up about how great her best friend is.

 

I tried to keep the core of all the characters, but change the particulars. Emmett is the only one I think I took more liberties with, because he was the narrator and I really wanted to explore some of the themes I saw in Emma that weren't as central, like loss and trauma. And of course all the queering made things different too.

 

So I'm not sure what the right balance is, I imagine that will vary wildly reader to reader, but to me, it's right where I want it to be. 

 

Q: The Booklist review of Emmett said, “This contemporary update of Jane Austen’s Emma is a smoothly written, highly readable—no, make that irresistible romance that is wise in the ways of love, especially for queer kids like Emmett.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: I love this review so much. It's hilarious and I highly encourage people to read the whole thing.

 

I'm very flattered by it, of course, it's starred, it's glowing, but beyond that, it's written with a lot more personality than you usually see in reviews - it almost feels like it's being written *at* someone who didn't like the book. I sort of hope it was, in fact?

 

I knew going in that people might HATE this book, and I'm fine with that - same way Austen expected no one to like Emma, I didn't expect anyone to like Emmett.

 

So this review, which to me is not only someone who loved the book, but implies someone else hated it, is delicious. Everything I wanted, presented hilariously and in an unexpected place. I love it. 

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A: I think a lot of the book is about how with queer people your closest friends and one-night stands and significant others often all come from the same pool - hookups become best friends become boyfriends become exes become best friends again. It's messy!

 

But trying to control that mess can result in not letting in a lot of joy. So as it says at the end of the book - learn to love the mess. 

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: This year, I have the third of my adult historical mystery series out, Rough Pages, which follows PI Andy Mills investigating a missing bookseller who was also running a queer book service - mailing out gay books, which in the ‘50s, was criminal.

 

And next year, I have the fourth in that series out, as well as the sequel to my YA queer archeological adventure, King's Legacy, and an as-of-yet untitled YA romcom about goths competing in a Halloween decorating competition. 

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Just that I hope you all have a wonderful day. You can find more about me on my website - LevACRosen.com or on instagram @LevACRosen. Thanks so much for having me!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb


No comments:

Post a Comment