Monday, March 25, 2024

Q&A with Sue Fliess

 


 

Sue Fliess is the author of the new children's picture book Octopus Acrobatics. Her many other books include Cicada Symphony. She lives in Northern Virginia.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Octopus Acrobatics?

 

A: After Cicada Symphony was completed and my editor said they’d like to do more books like it, I immediately pitched her the idea of octopuses. I’ve just always been fascinated by them, especially after seeing the documentary My Octopus Teacher.

 

When I got the green light, I started diving into octopus research! 

 

Q: What do you think Gareth Lucas’s illustrations add to the book? 

 

A: Oh my goodness, everything?! I am absolutely in LOVE with his illustrations for this book! The colors he used, the style…I only hope my words live up to the beauty of his art. 

 

Q: The Kirkus Review of the book says, in part, “Fliess’ narrative covers far more than astonishing acrobatics. She describes habitats, body shapes, sizes, and special features; nocturnal habits and defense mechanisms that both help them hunt and avoid becoming prey; and tool use, cognition, and reproduction.” What do you think of that description, and what did you learn about the octopus that surprised you most? 

 

A: I did try to put as much research I found in the book, but without it being a fact dump, so I think that description is pretty accurate.

 

The most amazing thing I learned was two-fold: Octopuses dream, and the reason they dream is because they have memories. And when they dream, they change color. They are astonishing. 

 

Q: What do you hope kids take away from the book? 

 

A: That these creatures are not just amazing because of their abilities and looks, but that they are also sentient, which means they feel emotions. We may never know to what extent, but there is something there for certain.

 

And while we should respect all animals, big or small, it puts a spotlight on just how incredible octopuses are, and they should not be feared, but celebrated. 

 

Q: What are you working on now? 

 

A: I am working on finishing a monster book that I can’t say too much about, only that there is baking involved!  

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb. Here's a previous Q&A with Sue Fliess.

No comments:

Post a Comment