Thursday, November 3, 2022

Q&A with Katie Sise

 


 

 

Katie Sise is the author of the new novel The Break. Her other books include Open House. Also a TV host and jewelry designer, she is based in New York.

 

Q: What inspired you to write The Break, and how did you create your characters Rowan and June?

 

A: The Break came to me in a dream. I could see my main character, Rowan, with her back turned, clawing at a wall, and screaming for her baby. It was the first time that I’d ever dreamed up a character and felt so strongly that I had to write about her. I spent months thinking about her, and then decided to try to write her story. It felt right to make Rowan a mystery author, and to set her story in New York City.

 

As far as June--when I first started writing Rowan’s story, I really felt like June lit up the scene when she walked in to help Rowan with her new baby. So pretty quickly I decided she would be the other POV we’d hear from throughout the novel.

 

June was less knowable to me, so I really had to figure her out. She ended up being kinder and warmer than how I first imagined she’d be. I felt such fondness for both Rowan and June. I love when that happens with characters.

 

Q: How would you describe the dynamic between the two of them?


A: The dynamic ends up being much warmer and more intimate than I’d ever set out for it to be. I thought Rowan and June would be at odds with each other (and in early scenes, there is certainly some posturing as they try to figure each other out) but as I continued writing the story, Rowan and June deeply cared for each other and admired each other.

 

Without giving anything away, this dynamic ended up changing what they would (or wouldn’t) do to each other and for each other.

 

Q: Again, without giving anything away, did you know how the story would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I don’t outline my novels at all, so I’m completely surprised by where the characters take me! I thought I knew who the killer was, and it turned out I was very wrong! When that happens (and it usually does) it involves a rewrite or at least an adjustment to characters throughout. But I’m happy to do those rewrites, because it usually feels in the best interest of the book.

 

All writers are different, but for me it makes it fun to sit down each day not knowing where the story will go. In some ways it feels like watching a movie, and I love watching movies 😊

 

Q: What do you think the novel says about postpartum anxiety?

 

A: My hope was to talk about a postpartum experience in a way that brought awareness to how varied postpartum anxiety can be for women after childbirth. (Rowan is also dealing with PTSD.) I always feel like the more any artist talks about any complicated issue, the less shameful it feels and the more encouraged someone else might be to seek help if they need it. I always admire writers who try to tackle the big stuff, and I hope I did this issue justice.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’m working on a new novel for Amazon/Little a called The Vacation Rental, about a woman who rents out her idyllic country home with very unexpected results.

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment