Saturday, September 3, 2022

Q&A with Nita Whitaker

 


 

 

Nita Whitaker is the author of the new book When Your Hand Is in the Lion's Mouth: The Life and Wisdom of a Man Named Green. It focuses on her father, Green Whitaker. Nita Whitaker is a singer, actress, author, and former ICU registered nurse. 

 

Q: Why did you decide to write this book about your father and your relationship with him?

 

A: I wrote the book to share my dad's life and practical wisdom, and share what a healthy father-daughter relationship can be. The blessing of a great dad who is loving, firm, kind, and present isn’t always a given--and I was given one. He is an extraordinary man and the things he learned and the life gems and lessons he gave me were too rich to keep and worth sharing. 

 

Q: The author Sam Harris said of the book, “The stories, memories, and sage advice from the black voice of a generation that has seen more change than any before it are a welcome and breathtaking perspective in these difficult times.” What do you think of that description?

 

A: My father is 96 years old and his perspective of the world, especially of this country, is unique and extensive. Born into a time when rights for the black American citizens were severely limited, segregated, and oppressed can mirror in a way some of what we see and feel in our country at this time. That is what Sam is referring to, though this is not a book about race.

 

I feel Sam's description is on point and because Dad infuses light and love into life situations with simplicity, experiential wisdom, kindness, and faith, we see how he navigates his world. Maya Angelou said, “You have no idea what your legacy is. Your legacy is every life you’ve touched. Every person you have met who influence was felt by you.”

 

My dad has touched many lives with his kindness, his counsel, and how he lived his life, and now, I hope, through this book. He is a man who raised a village, not just his own children. He has and still does use his life as a big classroom from which we can all learn and grow.

 

His earned legacy has already left an indelible mark in the lives of so many and leaves a gift of his love in the process.

 

Q: How was the book's title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: The book title was chosen from one of those life nuggets he gave me that has helped me get through many situations, particularly one that I refer to in the book in chapter 24. I’ve used it many times as a mantra when I’ve felt small or overwhelmed.

 

The bigger metaphor of "when your hand is in the lion’s mouth" is how do we tame the lions in our lives? My father learned how to do that in the time to which he was born and to live his life with great dignity.

 

Daddy taught us to “pat the lion’s head.” What that means is that it is your ability to choose whether you want to react to the lion and how. It can be by becoming super calm, or finding a mountain-like presence in the way you hold yourself in the face of whatever is roaring.

 

Reacting inwardly and not outwardly, we can shrink the lion’s power over us. That’s how we change behavior and how we pat the lion’s head. I thought of a couple other choices for the book title but kept coming back to this one. And it resonated with my test audience of family members.

 

Q: What do you hope readers take away from the book?

 

A: I hope readers can take away the celebration of a great black father whose center was his family and faith, and learn a few life lessons to take with them on their journey.

 

I also hope they can take away that that love triumphs over everything. Kindness matters. That we are not what happened to us, and with grit, some humor and grace, we can all live richer lives. My dad is a man who is as unique and ubiquitous as the name he bears.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I am beginning work on new music for a live show I’d like to perform in 2023, a documentary film I will be executive producing, and the beginnings of my next book adventure.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: Yes! I am very proud of this book and know that your readers will fall in love with my dad, Green. The audiobook is also available and my father is featured in it reading the chapter titles, and with a bonus interview as well as a song that is also included!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment