Friday, September 2, 2022

Q&A with Laurie Petrou

 


 

Laurie Petrou is the author of the new novel Stargazer. Her other books include the novel Sister of Mine. She is an associate professor at the RTA School of Media at Toronto Metropolitan University.

 

Q: What inspired you to write Stargazer?

 

A: I always begin with the relationship. That is the crux of all my books – who are we learning about? What situation can I put them in?

 

And so with Stargazer, I wanted to lean into a relationship between two privileged young people (originally I believe I conceived of two young men), ambition, and fame. I’ve always loved campus novels, and I’m a professor, so the genre felt ripe with opportunity for me there.

 

Finally, I have such visceral memories of going to art school in the ‘90s, and spend time annually up North, so those two things came together as well.

 

Q: The author Laurie Elizabeth Flynn called the book a “lyrical, nuanced deep dive into female friendship and all of its messy complexities.” What do you think of that description, and how would you describe the dynamic between your characters Aurelle and Diana?

 

A: I have deep admiration for Laurie, and am so grateful for those kind words.

 

As I say, the relationships and character portraits are vital to my writing. I like to spend a lot of time with the people, create some understanding of their inner workings so that when conflict and tension is pressed upon them, we feel that while maybe we didn’t see it coming, in hindsight we are not surprised.


The friendship between the two young women borrows from life – that time when friendships are apt to be intimately close, forsaking all others. Youth is when you most often hear the term “best friends,” which suggests a kind of competition, and a winner.

 

Diana and Aurelle find that in each other, and the deep love they have for one another, tipping towards obsession, is unsustainable. Something has to break.

 

Q: Did you know how the novel would end before you started writing it, or did you make many changes along the way?

 

A: I wasn’t completely sure what the fallout from the ending would be, if that makes sense. I knew how things were going to go, I knew what would be revealed, but I wasn’t sure how far I was going to take it. I did, however, know the last line for a very long time, and it is my favourite.

 

Q: How was the novel's title chosen, and what does it signify for you?

 

A: I’m usually very bad at crafting titles, but am happy to say this one was my idea (rather than my agent or editor). It did have another title for a bit, but as Rocky Barrens is based on a place called Torrence Barrens, which is a dark sky reserve (protected for stargazing), the name fell into place.

 

It is significant to me because it means both the literal act of stargazing, and it references fame as well. So it’s perfect to me for the book.

 

Q: What are you working on now?

 

A: I’ve got something in the hopper about siblings – a brother and a sister – it’s a bit of a road trip book, and I quite love it. We’ll see what happens.

 

Q: Anything else we should know?

 

A: I will say that Stargazer is not your traditional thriller, or even a thriller at all. It is a slow burn, literary suspense book. It is about the characters as much as their actions. It also shocks me to think that it may even be historical fiction! Having gone to school in the ‘90s, this makes me shudder in my Doc Martens!

 

--Interview with Deborah Kalb

No comments:

Post a Comment